OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has anyone been sprayed by a skunk?

Started by sugarray, May 17, 2011, 06:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Last week while getting to my spot I was walking through a field and a skunk was as mad as all get out.  It was facing me (I think), but tail was up and it was hissing.  I backed out of its presence because if it came any closer I was going to run.  It was dark as it was about 5 AM

Just wanted to see what ya'lls experience is.

bird

I've been sprayed (barely), my garage has been hit with a full load and my hunting dog got a face full of skunk juice too.  Not fun and very very difficult to get rid of the smell.  Tomato Juice does not work either.  Water makes it worse and the spray is actually an oil and it will stay around forever, especially if it gets into plastic and/or wood.  The best thing you can do is wash whatever was hit by the spray with a mixture of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, clear dish soap over and over and over and over.... and you will still smell it until it finally just wears away on it own.

chatterbox

Yuck.
I never have, but boy do I worry about walking into one of those smelly critters in the dark..........

Devastator

i have heard that tomato juice will neutralize the smell,not sure.i think im alittle more worried about these dang ticks.i pull 1 out of my chest last night and can not get the head out.im not giving the emergency room 500 to dig it out.im going to do a 12 pack miller lite local anethesia and dig it out myself.

bird

Quote from: timb on May 17, 2011, 07:20:01 PM
i have heard that tomato juice will neutralize the smell,not sure.i think im alittle more worried about these dang ticks.i pull 1 out of my chest last night and can not get the head out.im not giving the emergency room 500 to dig it out.im going to do a 12 pack miller lite local anethesia and dig it out myself.

Tomato Juice does not work... all myth.  As far as ticks go, go to this link/thread and it will help you with future ticks.  Good Luck with your self medication and surgery.  Make sure you sterilize your instruments and clean your wound really good. 

fallsflight

Quote from: bird on May 17, 2011, 07:23:47 PM
Quote from: timb on May 17, 2011, 07:20:01 PM

Tomato Juice does not work... all myth.  As far as ticks go, go to this link/thread and it will help you with future ticks.  Good Luck with your self medication and surgery.  Make sure you sterilize your instruments and clean your wound really good.  

Bird is correct.  Tomato juice does not work.  It only masks the smell at best if at all and that smell will get into your furniture, etc if on a dog.  

As bird said, the best thing to use is wash with a mixture of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, clear dish soap.  This is exactly what i had to do twice with my gun dog.  First time he got sprayed directly in the face.  Second time not as bad, but still skunk smell none the less.  If a dog gets hit in the face, the best thing is to use Summer's Eve believe it or not and not the other mixture because of the eyes.  

It was quite the variety of ingredients when i had to go to the store to buy it all.

Devastator

bird

turkey_slayer

Been sprayed several times when we use to skunk hunt (yeah I know that was stupid)  Had to throw many of shoes and pants away.  Best thing we found was to use scent-a-way bath soap.  Used it on dogs to and it will get 90% of it off but you can still smell a faint wiff if your close.  Only walked upon 1 this year and he was almost solid white so I spotted him before I got to close.  I watched him dig for grubs while I listened for turkeys.

Peck1524

Bird is right. The best thing that works is the baking soda, peroxide and dish soap mixture. Worst experience I ever had was when my Rotti got nailed right in the face. My wife had let him out in the wee hours of the morning one night. While waiting at the door for him she could hear him getting excited about something.  Wanting to save whatever he was after in the yard she called for him and he came barrelling in the house and before she knew he had been sprayed in the face, he busted into the bedroom and hopped in bed with me rubbing his face into the sheets trying to get the burn out of his eyes. He was in the house for a maximum of 45 seconds, but EVERYTHING in the bedroom had to be taken outside to be aired out. Even clothes that were in the dressers and closet had to be cleaned. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

WVhuntEER

I haven't been sprayed by one but I almost got sprayed the other day while walking through a field back to my 4-wheeler.   I scared the little guy and it ran right over the hill towards my dad who was waiting on me.  What I wouldn't give for it to have sprayed him. LOL   ;D

Reloader

I ran over one on a 4 wheeler years ago by accident(ran out in front of me) and he sprayed the wheeler and my shirt sleeve.  Skunk spray on a muffler puts off a nice aroma for sure and needless to say I was a bit colder coming out than going in.

Last year I walked up on the same skunk on two diff days while going in and coming out in the dark.  The first time I didn't have my light on, but could see something was in the trail, so I turned on my light and made evasive manuvers.  The second time I walked up within about 6 foot of him coming out and dang near crapped my pants.  Dad was behind me and didn't know whether to dive in the bushes or chamber a round(he thought I must have seen a snake or a hog).

Shot one at the camp last year with my xbow and needless to say the arrow was donated to mother nature.

Skeeterbait

Never been sprayed personally.  I did round a bend early one morning before daylight and run right through a momma skunk and a whole mess of little skunks in the road.  They must have went off like a bunch of ruptured aerosol cans.  Truck, boat trailer and boat all got painted with stink.

CASH

Sprayed this one with two hollowpoint .40's in Texas.  Of course I was UPWIND

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

kamski1151

Nothing works the smell will go away in time,but it's a long time.Tomato juice will tame the smell alittle but time is the only cure.............

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp