OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The 16 gauge for Turkey, Why not?

Started by Tom007, July 02, 2020, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tom007 on July 02, 2020, 03:36:44 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 02, 2020, 11:41:33 AM
My step father uses an old left handed bolt action 16 for deer hunting that would perform well on turkey too I would suppose.

You should try it On your next NY bird......
I am not left handed for one, he also lives in PA so would not work well. I am pretty sure he intends to leave it to one of his brothers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: guesswho on July 02, 2020, 06:45:24 PM
I killed a lot of turkeys with an 11-48 16 gauge as a kid.  My Mom still uses it on occasion.   I just got back from my parents house in Florida.  I was looking at it last night remembering some of the deer, hogs and turkeys I have killed with it.   

Maybe you can give it a go next season.....

Tom007

Quote from: Jstocks on July 02, 2020, 06:59:14 PM
16 gauge is really my favorite, but I have never shot a turkey with one. I have killed many a dove though. I have several, and I plan on shooting one with my old A5 one day. I bet the new A5 is a sweet gun!

Fantastic. I am going to set it up for turkey....

guesswho

Quote from: Tom007 on July 03, 2020, 09:26:58 AM
Maybe you can give it a go next season.....
I killed one with it 3 years ago.  Getting about time to carry an old friend again.   I forgot to mention that my Mom and Dad bought it from my Great Grandma on my Moms side in the late 60's.   So there is a lot of family history tied to it as well. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

Wow, that is great. It will be a nostalgic hunt, tons of memories. Good luck.....

Tom007

My challenge now is how to camo it. It is new, so I really don't want to crerakote. Also, the walnut stock is shinny gloss finish. I am searching for synthetic stock to take off the wood one. Can't seem to find one. The blued finish is kind of satin, not real shiny. The stock is too much, gobblers will pick it off......

crow

Tractor supply sells a camo vet wrap in the horse section, easy on easy off, dull no shine finish.

it has a slight rubber feel to it and is also nice for helping to keep the gun from sliding off your knee

Tom007

captfire

I HAD A 16 GA, PUMP WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG JUST STARTING TO HUNT I LOVE A 16 I SOLD IT AND GOT A 12 GA . I WISH I HAD MY BUT KICKED FOR LETING IT GO IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ONE FOR YEARS NOW VERY HARD TO FIND...

Tom007

Yes, I regret a few of my gun sales too. My new rule, keep them. So far, no regrets.......thanks be safe

captpete

Quote from: Tom007 on July 03, 2020, 10:25:44 AM
My challenge now is how to camo it. It is new, so I really don't want to crerakote. Also, the walnut stock is shinny gloss finish. I am searching for synthetic stock to take off the wood one. Can't seem to find one. The blued finish is kind of satin, not real shiny. The stock is too much, gobblers will pick it off......

I used the Mossy Oak vinyl gun skin(wrap) on an 1187 Premier. It was pretty easy to put on and left no residue when it off 3-4 years later. The gun looked just as good when I took it off as it did when I put it on. The only issue I had was it was kind of slick/slippery with certain types of gloves. Particularly cotton/jersey type gloves. For $30 and an hour or two of time,  it's an easy & inexpensive way to camo a gun.

https://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/shotgun-wrap-mossy-oak-camo-gun-skin

Tom007

Wow, it's funny that is what I have coming in mail. Thanks for letting me know it worked great. I got the original bottomland. Did it stay on good? Looked good in the video.....be safe

Jstocks

Quote from: Tom007 on July 03, 2020, 10:25:44 AM

I am thinking of building my own leather stock cover for a new 410 sxs I bought. I didn't want to cerakote it, and I've been watching some YouTube videos on leather working.
You could contact a leather sling or stock cover company and ask them to build you a custom cover for the stock.

Tom007

Another good idea. I am going to see how this mossy oak skin works....great idea though...kinda like the old Kane Gun stock covers.....they were not bad..

Tom007

Finally finished setting up the Sweet 16. I followed the forum's advice and put the Mossy Oak Gun Skin on the stock. Great material. It is easy to install, but it takes time to get it perfect. I used a hair dryer to smooth out wrinkles in the curves. My friend actually thought it was dipped. I topped it with a Burris Fast Fire 3 red dot, on a Meadow Creek Mount. I installed a Briley .600 Turkey Choke, they recommended this for the 16. I will be hitting the range with some Apex TSS 7.5, and some Fiocchi Nickel  plated number 5's. Thanks for all the great advice, I will have this out in 2021. Be safe, thanks...