OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lets talk dedicated / favorite turkey gun?????

Started by ShootingABN!, June 18, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiggy2

Finally got my turkey gun set up this past weekend. I've been wanting a lighter and shorter gun than my 870.
Weatherby SA-459 12 Ga
Burris FF3 with Sumtoy Protector mount
Sumtoy .665 choke
Mossy Oak Graphics kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

wchadw

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 17, 2021, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: wchadw on March 17, 2021, 09:06:21 AM
My dedicated turkey gun

Yildiz youth 20 O/U
Cerakote and dip by Carolina graphics
Trijicon dual illumination RMR with triangle dot on Sumtoy mount
Sumtoy 562 shoot tss #9 over 30
Sumtoy 585 shoot pheasant #6 load under 30
Limbsaver butt pad and kodiak sling

While I'm not a fan of the Turkish guns, I like what you've done with yours.

For the price it's a good little gun. Had some really nice walnut on the stock. I almost didn't dip it

wvmntnhick

The Turkish walnut looks good. But, I question its durability to that of the American walnut. It just doesn't seem to want to hold up to "dings" as well. Could be my perspective though. Could also be the difference in finishing. Who really knows?

chbarnha

Steven's 301 410 with a truglo red dot and tss 9s, but I recently picked up a new toy that will see some use... Nef sb2 10ga with a 23" barrel. Just had to have it

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

S.davis

12 ga Remington Sportsman 12 Pump Magnum, with a 21" VR barrel and a red dot on a saddle. Cerakoted OD Green. Boyds thumbhole stock in forest camo. Flush mount Carlson's .680 choke.

I shot a Mossy 835 for years, then a single shot Iver Johnson 16 ga., then a 20 11-87 with a youth stock for a couple seasons. Came back home to the 12 ga for convenience of finding ammo while out in the wilds of turkey country, and because 1 shot isn't always enough, but semi-auto shotguns are just silly.

Probably hunt it until I'm done hunting.   

a_jabbo

Benelli Nova, 24" barrel, LBXR Choke, LBXR #5's first shotgun I ever bought when I was 16. 20 year anniversary this year, but I'll be taking out my grandfathers Rem 11-87 this year for the first time. It hasn't shot a turkey in over 20 years since he was still alive.

idgobble

I've been shooting birds with this since 1957. Click on the pic for a better look at that thick beard.

jamo

mossberg sa-20 with a swampfox green dot sight, indian creek .570 choke.

stevens 301 20ga. single shot, vortex venom red dot, carlson .575 choke.

shooting tss handloads in both setups.

lunghit

Quote from: idgobble on March 21, 2021, 03:08:04 PM
I've been shooting birds with this since 1957. Click on the pic for a better look at that thick beard.
WOW that is a thick beard and beautiful bird.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

albrubacker

Quote from: wchadw on March 17, 2021, 09:06:21 AM
My dedicated turkey gun

Yildiz youth 20 O/U
Cerakote and dip by Carolina graphics
Trijicon dual illumination RMR with triangle dot on Sumtoy mount
Sumtoy 562 shoot tss #9 over 30
Sumtoy 585 shoot pheasant #6 load under 30
Limbsaver butt pad and kodiak sling

Sweet looking rig!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

old3toe

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 17, 2021, 08:30:59 PM
The Turkish walnut looks good. But, I question its durability to that of the American walnut. It just doesn't seem to want to hold up to "dings" as well. Could be my perspective though. Could also be the difference in finishing. Who really knows?

I don't know about that honestly. I've had my 20ga yildiz youth for a while now and hunted it hard in some of the nastiest, thickest terrain you can drag one through and it still looks like new. I was going to dip mine right away too but just couldn't cover up that walnut!! Mines beautiful.
  Two things I do do though and one that I don't. One I don't prop it up against a vehicle, wall, or tailgate. I lay it down if I need my hands free. And I always wipe it down with a dry rag every time I get home with it followed by a little oil. Then check the barrels to make sure they're clear and free of moisture or debree. And number two on the do list is transport it in a padded case so it can't bounce around everywhere in the vehicle  unprotected. Great little guns.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: idgobble on March 21, 2021, 03:08:04 PM

That's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jcfd142

Just picked this up a few weeks ago.  Love the pistol grip and 22" barrel. Will get it dipped down the road, but for now it'll do just fine.

CT Spur Collector

Benelli M2, pistol grip, Romeo 4 sight...Indian Creek choke....I don't care what 3" shell.........dosen't matter at 20 yards.

gergg

Not sure it would be my favorite if I were to choose between all of the options, but I have used the same Mossberg 835 for 30+ years and it has been great. I put an aftermarket choke tube in it when I got it, shoots lights out, plus I don't mind crawling around the woods with it.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls