OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Update on Alabama Tornado Damage

Started by R AJ, May 17, 2011, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

The paper stated that the estimated property damage in Alabama alone is six billion dollars. Hurricane Ivan damage from 2004 total damage was at two billion.
One of the tornadoes made up to a mile wide swath for some 372 miles across Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. That one tornado covered a total  of 232,080 acres of devastation alone.
The impact on the forest industry is that mills have been on quotas so much from the downturn in the economy and now they are being faced with carrying huge inventories during the hot months--not good. Landowners will be paid pentance prices as well.

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Beretta686

I live in Elmore county and the F-4 tornado lowered down over my house and then ran 44 miles. It ripped the tops out of several oaks and pine trees at my house. I have seen the log trucks running non stop since the storm.

My family has volunteered several times in the county and helped folks. I look at the timber damage and can't believe it, but that is secondary to those that lost everything they own and family members.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Houndstooth Game Calls

There is going to be total loss for many landowners here in my area of Tuscaloosa with no where to haul pine logs and pine pulp! The mills are on quotas and the mills have dropped there price on pine pulp theres know way to even haul it to the mills with higher logging rates cause of it being storm damaged wood! Gonna be a long summer for the forestry industry!

R AJ

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on May 17, 2011, 02:24:31 PM
There is going to be total loss for many landowners here in my area of Tuscaloosa with no where to haul pine logs and pine pulp! The mills are on quotas and the mills have dropped there price on pine pulp theres know way to even haul it to the mills with higher logging rates cause of it being storm damaged wood! Gonna be a long summer for the forestry industry!
You know it sometime seems like having a huge satellite chip  facility or some type of mulcher to mulch, dry and sell as landscape material with government assistance would help alleviate the pressure placed on mills to buy when they are glutted now. Each disaster seems to have its own quirks for the timber industry.

Houndstooth Game Calls

@ Raj there are plenty of chip mills that dont produce paper that either sell their chips to other mills or other operations and also export! Problem is when a storm hits landowners and the papermills are say paying $23.00 for delivered that mean the regular chip mills are gonna be somewhere around $21 to $22 cause of hauling or barging there chips to another facility sometimes there even steven but most of the time there below! So you end up $23 delivered and increased logging rate of say $21(low end) because the wood is all tangled up on the ground you end up with about .75 to .50 cents a ton to the landowner plus that scenario would only work if it were with in 40miles or the logging rate would go up! Sorry for the ramble it all equals bad for all!