OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

E bikes

Started by turkeymanjim, June 10, 2020, 06:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeymanjim

All the electric bike owners. What is your opinion on the e bike that you have? What are the good and the bad features on your bike. I would like to get one for turkey hunting but wanted some good information about the different bikes.
Thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

BigSlam51

Quote from: fallhnt on June 10, 2020, 07:44:53 PM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Always got something smart a$$  to post

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

teke59

Ive got a felt outfitter pedal assist bike. If you like to run and gun it is the ultimate turkey machine for an older fellow. It has replaced my old giant mountain bike.

Hobbes

I've never had one and likely never will.  I've seen several discussions on them on Rokslide.  You'd probably find more info about an E-bike there.

GobbleNut

I am getting to the age where I am beginning to notice that, to put it nicely, my physical abilities are starting to "diminish" a bit.  As such, I am considering my options and E-bikes are on that list.  One of the main concerns I have (and anybody else should) is the use of these types of "vehicles" on public lands.  They are not legal to use in some places, so anybody that is looking at getting one of them should consider where they plan on using it. 

Old Timer

From what i have been told they are made in China. Here`s the deal. Engineers in U.S. spec them then order them from Chinese companies. Then you order online. Sometimes you can pre order to save a couple hundred. But what happens when you have a problem? Hope you have dealt with a reliable company. If you go with a local dealer x2 the price of the e bike. A lot to think about.

idgobble

I'm very concerned about their use on public lands. There are different classes of them and top speeds of some are 45 mph or more. Just a motorcycle. When used on bike paths they can be a hazard. They're evolving very fast.  https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-02-08/e-bikes-national-parks-can-you-ride

Turkz39

Jim make sure you check your state laws before spending 2grand on a bike.   I have several friends that got big tickets this spring for having a motorized vehicle on state and federal lands. Just a heads up

Spurs

Quote from: Turkz39 on June 13, 2020, 04:39:03 PM
Jim make sure you check your state laws before spending 2grand on a bike.   I have several friends that got big tickets this spring for having a motorized vehicle on state and federal lands. Just a heads up
They are allowed on all National Forrests, not sure about wildlife refuges.

They should be 100% outlawed where "no motorized vehicles" are posted.
This year is going to suck!!!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Spurs on June 14, 2020, 12:27:21 PM
Quote from: Turkz39 on June 13, 2020, 04:39:03 PM
They are allowed on all National Forrests, not sure about wildlife refuges.

They should be 100% outlawed where "no motorized vehicles" are posted.
They are allowed on only 40% of the NF trails not all. I'm sure with the difficulty of walking in skin tight  skinny jeans and the majority of humans being both over weight and lazy they will eventually be legal everywhere. They should be legal for handicapped or elderly people not hipster doofuses. Eating yourself into obesity is not a handicap neither is letting your legs get too weak to walk from lack of use. 
     That old tired saying about "just walk further,go deep to get away from people" is about over.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Greg Massey

The way i look at it ... if you want E bike and can use it 60 percent of the time and this allows you to go turkey hunting then BUY the E Bike ... Don't let people, discourage you because they think you have to walk everywhere just to go hunting in your older age. Regardless being outdoors and riding bike is just as enjoyable and you will use your leg's in pedaling the bike ...  You can get exercise by using your E Bike in the off season and that will help with getting you in better shape for spring turkey season , lot's of Parks have riding trails ..

ManfromGreenSwamp

I have one. Bought a RAD Rover...worth EVERY penny
My only complaint is the weight of the bike but it isn't like you're carrying it far.

Feel free to ask me anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Turkz39

Spurs, they are definitely not allowed on all national forest lands. Iam not exactly sure which lands you can ride them, because I don't have one.  But I do know for sure that the  people i know that got tickets were on a foot travel path off a main gravelroad on national forest property in VA.  They got a ticket for going around a closed bar gate on national forest with a motorized vehicle and being of state property a foot travel path that was not permitted to motorized vehicles.  They were told if the battery was not on the bike it would not have been a big deal.

Spurs Up

:angel9:
Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on June 15, 2020, 12:36:33 PM
I have one. Bought a RAD Rover...worth EVERY penny
My only complaint is the weight of the bike but it isn't like you're carrying it far.

Feel free to ask me anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) How does it handle water and mud?
2) When riding where there are lots of fallen limbs, sticks and wood debris, do they get caught up in the gears and sprockets?