turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

lead pattern help

Started by rgref522, June 09, 2020, 09:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgref522

Im finally getting serious about pattering my gun and trying different loads and chokes. i have sbe and am a copper plated lead guy.  i see guys putting 100s of bbs in a 10 inch at 40 yds and i do realize these are hevi shot or tss sometimes. im lucky to get just 100 (i have yet to put 100 in the 10 inch) with 5s and was wondering if this is as good as it gets with lead.  im shooting 3.5 inch longbeards and grand slams number 5 shot, carlsons longbeard xr choke .650, and a jebs headhunter .650. those are my test subjects so far. next week im flinging 6s to see the difference. so far im pretty disappointed in the choke performance for the prices.

Curious what "good" would be considered with those rounds and shot size. from what I've read i don't think 150 to 180 in the 10 inch at 40 is out of the question or did i miss something?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lmbunch69

I shoot 3.5 #5 double x. My patterns seem to be just at 100 or so pellets. My dads old mossberg with longbeard 3in 6s will put close to 150 in the 10. Just too tight for me.

mikejd

I think your numbers sound pretty accurate for lead.

AppalachianHollers

Those are some very tight chokes. Try a .665 or higher and see what happens. Or try #6 shot with the chokes you've got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

175 to 200 pellets is very doable with longbeards 3.5", #5, 12 gauge load. That's at 40 yards.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: rgref522 on June 09, 2020, 09:17:05 PM
im shooting 3.5 inch longbeards and grand slams number 5 shot

The 3.5" longbeards also come in 2 1/8oz 1050fps and 2oz 1200fps loads. Could make a difference in your pattern depending on which you're shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

standard lead the 100 pellet mark is probably tops, longbeards should do much better, but are stupid tight up close!

redleg06

How big is the piece of paper you're shooting at? It sounds like a dumb question but your POA/POI could be off and you may not be getting all of your pattern on the paper.

If that's not the issue, I would try different loads. Long beard XR's would probably be my first choice to try if you're set on lead loads.  If you're not dead-set on lead, TSS 9's will get you about triple that 100 mark (if not higher) out of a 3" shell once you get it dialed in.

rgref522

Quote from: redleg06 on June 10, 2020, 12:59:21 PM
How big is the piece of paper you're shooting at? It sounds like a dumb question but your POA/POI could be off and you may not be getting all of your pattern on the paper.

If that's not the issue, I would try different loads. Long beard XR's would probably be my first choice to try if you're set on lead loads.  If you're not dead-set on lead, TSS 9's will get you about triple that 100 mark (if not higher) out of a 3" shell once you get it dialed in.
3x3 piece of paper, pattern appears evenly spread over the whole paper

Ihuntoldschool

Is this this Mobil choke threads or the Crio Plus threads?

blake_08

With 3.5" 2oz 5s longbeards in my 870 12 gauge, i average around 190 pellets in the 10 at a lasered 40 yards. Best i ever got with that was 204 pellets. 21" barrel and a jelly head .660 choke. My pattern density drops by about 10 pellets per shot after the first shot through a clean barrel, so you may want to deep clean your barrel.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rgref522

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on June 10, 2020, 01:20:51 PM
Is this this Mobil choke threads or the Crio Plus threads?
mobil choke

Ihuntoldschool

If it was me I would get the BlackMaxx turkey choke or the old Blackout turkey choke by Carlson's in .665. You don't need a $80 or $100 choke IMO. A $40 choke in the same constriction will do the same thing.  I think you may be overchoked like posted earlier. 6's will probably put up a little higher numbers.  Either will kill dead as you know, 5 or 6 if you have the pattern.

captpete

I know they are completely different guns, but my 870 shoots terrible patterns with 3.5" shells. I get much better patterns with 3" shell. I would also try opening the choke up some like others mentioned.

Also there have been quite a few issues lately with the Longbeards not wanting to pattern very well.

Gooserbat

I know you said lead but you realize that you can down load a 2 3/4 TSS handload to around 1.5 oz and still probably match if not outperform longbeards and not have to worry about consistency.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.