turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New York gun question

Started by bigbird, June 08, 2020, 08:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

My nephew is 10 and getting interested in shooting and hunting. I'm thinking about giving him a 22 but all I have are semi automatic. What's legal up there or considered illegal I should ask? I don't live in New York and I have heard they have some crazy laws up there.

Tom007

Sir Dialot lives in NY. He will have the best info.. good guy, very knowledgeable.
"Solo hunter"

mikejd

What semi do you have in mind. As long as its a 10 rd mag or less the criteria is pretty reasonable. Unless your an AR guy.

Sir-diealot

Avoid clips with more than 10 rounds is the first thing you need to avoid thanks to our dictator in office. Also I have heard but am not positive on this but I am of the understanding that no more thumb hole stocks and definitely no "Bump stocks" I will look into the thumbhole stock issue to be sure tomorrow, my brain is about numb right now.

This is the one that most concerns me, I do not have kids so I have not paid a lot of attention to it but I will do my best to find out more.

Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in New York
Last updated October 23, 2018.

New York law prohibits anyone under age 21 from obtaining a license to possess or carry a handgun.1

Persons under the age of 16 generally may not possess any firearms or ammunition in New York.2

New York penalizes transferring a firearm to a person who is or reasonably appears to be less than nineteen years of age if the seller is not legally authorized to possess a firearm.3

Federal age restrictions impose stricter limits.

See our Minimum Age to Purchase or Possess Firearms policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue. https://lawcenter.giffords.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-in-new-york/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bigbird

I was gonna give him a 10/22 or a model 60. Thanks for helping me out

Turkeyman

No thumbhole...pistol grip OK, which I have on both of my turkey guns.

mikejd

You are fine with both of those guns.

And the thumbhole/pistol grip only applies if there is a detachable magazine. Therefore most turkey guns if not all are ok.

joey46

:thanks:That's a relief since my Knight TK2000 muzzleloader has a thumb hole stock.  Hate if it was NY illegal.  LOL.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mikejd on June 09, 2020, 06:52:07 AM

And the thumbhole/pistol grip only applies if there is a detachable magazine. Therefore most turkey guns if not all are ok.
Yes thank you, I was just coming to reply on that, your statement is absolutely correct.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

silvestris

It has been over thirty years since I have been in New York and with the quality of the politicians there I do not expect to ever step foot there again.  I don't expect Shurmer to be there to protect me when faced by Antifa or Black Lives Matters.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Turkeyman

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 09, 2020, 11:18:38 AM

Yes thank you, I was just coming to reply on that, your statement is absolutely correct.

Oh...news to me. I didn't realize there was a stipulation re: detachable magazine. Gotta love Czar Mario.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 09, 2020, 01:36:46 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 09, 2020, 11:18:38 AM

Oh...news to me. I didn't realize there was a stipulation re: detachable magazine. Gotta love Czar Mario.
Yea, he is a piece of work to say the least.

@Bigbird one other thing you will have to find out is if you can gift it to him, several years ago there were some firemen that responded to a call and when they got there a guy open fired on them, turned out that somebody had bought the guns for him, because of that there is a law that refers to "Straw Purchases" and in some cases you can't buy a gun for somebody.

John Koenig:

SinGin

Is the model 60 legal since it holds more than 10 rounds in the tube mag? Wouldn't surprise me if it's illegal in NY and, or Ca.

troutfisher13111

I'd highly recommend you go right to the source

https://safeact.ny.gov/

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

mikejd

Quote from: Terry on June 09, 2020, 04:04:27 PM
I'd highly recommend you go right to the source

https://safeact.ny.gov/

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Probably need to be a lawyer to read it.

Lets look at it this way. You can legally own an AR 15 with flash suppressor, collapsible stock, pistol grip etc as long as you have the magazine pinned. Detachable mag is the game changer for most of these rules. Just shows how they really care about protecting people and not pushing their agenda. I guess if you are a criminal they figure you are not going to remove the pin.

As for the model 60 being tube fed you have me on that one. Definitely look further.