OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WY Success - Bird with leg band & transmitter

Started by WyoHunter, May 17, 2011, 01:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

Just completed a very successful season with my last tag filled Sunday. I shot this gobbler at 44 yards with 2 oz Hevi-13 7's out of my Beretta 12 ga. After shooting this bird I walked up to take a look at him and when I rolled him over I saw that he had a leg band that indicated he was part of a South Dakota Turkey Project. He was shot at least 12 miles from the WY/SD border. I'm waiting to hear from the SD G&F to find out when and where he was banded. After tagging him I walked over to a snowbank and gutted him and washed my hands in the snow, put him in my orange HS turkey back pack and hiked back to the truck.
When I got back to the truck I took some pics because I had forgotten to take my camera with me. As I rolled him on his breast I noticed that a transmitter was attached between his wings on his back with an elastic cord. The bird is two year old with a 9" beard and 1/2" spurs and weighed 20 lbs. I've never shot a banded bird of any kind before so it was a new experience for me. I've included pics of the bird, leg band and transmitter.  :cowboy:

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

marshboy

savduck

Georgia Boy

chcltlabz

That's very cool.  I shot a banded turkey in SD, but it had a regular crimp style band, not one that's riveted on like this, and of course mine didn't have a transmitter.

What a way to end your season.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Jay

Pretty cool. Let us know what you find out about this. Congrats on your Tom and your season.

BOFF

Ugh Oh!!

You shot an undercover bird!!!!   :gobble:

Probably been undercover for more than a year, and just getting in good with the contacts.

Congrats on the bird. What a neat added bonus in your hunt!!!

God Bless,
David B.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Hognutz

Congrats on the ''Special'' gobbler. That is way cool..Keep us informed of the outcome. I'd go underground for awhile, in case they come lookin' for the guy that wrecked their project..The Fed's may be lookin' for some restitution..Way to go, Wyo...Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

milertyme03

Very Cool!

Public land bird?

Let us know any info you get on him. I wonder how far he has traveled.

mmusso

Gobble!

drenalinld

That's awesome! Please update us with the info when you get it.

Basser69

Congrats on a very special trophy for sure!

TRKYHTR

Thats a great trophy for sure. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hobbes

Congrats!  Twelve miles..........that is a lot farther than I would have guessed he'd end up.  Nomadic Merriam's describes him well.