OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wolves!

Started by Paulmyr, May 31, 2020, 09:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Hunting north Central Mn this weekend with my Dad. He's 76 and don't get around so well after an ankle replacement so I tag along and call for him. Yesterday we were set up on a logging road with a Tom gobbling at us from a distance. My dad leans over and says "coyote"! I look over and see a wolf is sniffing his decoy in the logging road. The wolf looks over at us and runs back down the logging road. We were set up so we could only see about 30 yds down the road. About 2 mins later the wolf shows back up and pounces on the decoy and runs off. I chuckle and get up to reset the decoy. Look down the logging road and actually see 2 wolves about 70 yds away staring at me. They turned and ran off. Closest I've been to one while not in a tree stand.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 31, 2020, 09:59:02 PM
S.S.S.
A lot of South Florida ranchers live by that.

Be cool to see a wolf.   I've never seen one in the wild.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rapscallion Vermilion

Was hunting in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico a few years back and a pack of coyotes was really letting loose.  Then a lone wolf went off and we never heard another coyote that night.

Paulmyr

Had one growling at me while walking in to set up a trail cam. Couldn't see it. Had no weapons with me so I picked the nearest tree next to a deer trail and got the heck out of there.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 31, 2020, 10:44:29 PM
Had one growling at me while walking in to set up a trail cam. Couldn't see it. Had no weapons with me so I picked the nearest tree next to a deer trail and got the heck out of there.
Good plan.  I like being the top predator wherever I'm at. LOL
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

That is where we differ...  Were a wolf growling at me, I would have picked the nearest tree and climbed up it...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 31, 2020, 11:01:22 PM
Good plan.  I like being the top predator wherever I'm at. LOL
X2...That's why I like living in Iowa.

mikejd

TTG

The only 2 animals that worry me in the US are wolves and mountain lions

Old Timer

Setting up a tree stand with my buddy a coy dog came out of nowhere all teeth.
I fought him off with a branch, he had bad intentions. Thats why I like to carry.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TTG on June 01, 2020, 09:15:01 AM
The only 2 animals that worry me in the US are wolves and mountain lions
You aren't worried about grizzly bears? You got bigger balls than me then!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

S.S.S.
Guess I'm out of the loop. What does SSS stand for?

NCL

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 01, 2020, 09:54:30 AM
S.S.S.
Guess I'm out of the loop. What does SSS stand for?

Shoot, shovel, shut up

dublelung

Quote from: Old Timer on June 01, 2020, 09:35:01 AM
Setting up a tree stand with my buddy a coy dog came out of nowhere all teeth.
I fought him off with a branch, he had bad intentions. Thats why I like to carry.
Why the heck did you fight him off with a branch if you were carrying?