OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania season over today. How did everyone do?

Started by Brian Fahs, May 30, 2020, 05:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Fahs

Can't believe it's over today. Rain, wind, cold , snow, all plagued the early part of the season here.

I killed 2 longbeards early the first week and guided a kid on youth day and his brother and my cousin the second week of season to longbeards.

Did not hear much gobbling this year once they left the limb.

How did everyone else do that hunted the keystone state this year?

TauntoHawk

A week of below freezing lows in the middle of the season really kept the hens with the Toms late in the season. Pressure on public wasnt anything to sneeze at either, random Thursdays looked like a Saturday opener.

As always birds were killable but required some adjustments for sure. I killed both my birds second half the season in the pm hours. One at 8pm that came in silent looking for one last girl friend before roosting and another just after noon on memorial day 5hrs after I got on him, he certainly had a wary unwillingness to come to a call.

Called birds for both my wife and father but neither sealed the deal and only got out of state for 1 weekend with all that was going on. On that trip I took 1 bird and called another for a friend in MD.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fullfan

Was another fun and rewarding season for us. From snow storms to a gobbler with 1 1/2 " spurs.  Had more hunting pressure this year than I ever remember.  Total was 7 long beards for me and my crew.
Don't gobble at me...

JK Spurs

Killed one the last week in PA. It was a tough season....action the first week then it was dead most of the season. I found a hot one on Memorial Day and ended up tagging him the Tuesday after.
I like my turkey well peppered

Turkeyman

After I got a couple birds in NY, I started in PA May 18th and killed my first bird the 21st. Came back home for several days and went back down the 25th and killed a second on the 27th. What surprised me was that I neither saw or heard any other hunters in the woods, although hunting state ground. I know many guys ran into a lot of hunters this year.

Brian Fahs

I hunt state ground in pa and the first couple days are always insane with hunting pressure. This year with the covid thing it was the worst ever. I slugged it out with the guys and tagged out quickly this year. I was back out the second week tagging along with some hunters and no one was hunting. We did real well. Seem like a lot of guys killed them late this year.

turkeymanjim

I just retired in april, so I spent every day to go turkey hunting. I have to say very disappointing. Had 6 hunts ruined on me by other hunters. One day say 2 guys walked in on my within an hour of each hunt. After I told them about trying to stalk the bird an hour before. The turkey population in my area has to be down 60%. So what birds that are there everyone is after. This year especially because of the covid 19, lots of people off. 5 years ago must of located 20 to 25 birds, this year I only heard 3 bird before the season. Where I used to shoot birds 4 to 5 years ago, haven't heard a bird in those places in years. I didn't hear any birds the last 13 days of the season.Had to go out of state to get some  good turkey hunting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

West Augusta

This was my first year hunting Pennsylvania.  I hunted Greene and Washington counties early last week after getting laid off at work.  A buddy invited me to "Turkey Camp" in Forest County and what a camp it was.  With a LOT of help from a great turkey hunter, I was lucky enough to get this very vocal and very mobile turkey.
I had found that log in the woods when roosting this bird the night before and we went back for a picture.  Thought it was fitting.   Check the crazy mottling on the wing feathers.

PA bird by Steve  Torman, on Flickr
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: West Augusta on June 03, 2020, 09:03:03 AM
This was my first year hunting Pennsylvania.  I hunted Greene and Washington counties early last week after getting laid off at work.  A buddy invited me to "Turkey Camp" in Forest County and what a camp it was.  With a LOT of help from a great turkey hunter, I was lucky enough to get this very vocal and very mobile turkey.
I had found that log in the woods when roosting this bird the night before and we went back for a picture.  Thought it was fitting.   Check the crazy mottling on the wing feathers.

PA bird by Steve  Torman, on Flickr
Really cool! Someone else's memory is a part of yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Quote from: Tom007 on June 03, 2020, 11:02:15 AM
Congrats, great photo

Agree 100%. That was totally worth hiking back to get that picture Steve.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

JeffC

Congrats on a great Penn gobbler, did the "great cigar smoking turkey caller" video your hunt? is he going to share video?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

West Augusta

Quote from: JeffC on June 03, 2020, 12:21:20 PM
Congrats on a great Penn gobbler, did the "great cigar smoking turkey caller" video your hunt? is he going to share video?
He did but I don't know about the sharing.   Not sure how much video he got.  After that hunt, he went on to Maine.

What an experience.  That man can sure call.  I was amazed at how far that gobbler could hear and respond to his soft calling.  It was a blast for sure.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Devastator

Killed 1 in NY first day,another in PA on first tuesday ,then finally after killing myself to get 2nd in PA
on memorial day,what an up and down season

243kid

I was fortunate enough to kill on the first Tuesday of the season thanks to J. Richards. The second tag remained unfilled but not from the lack of trying.