turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thermacell does not work?

Started by Marc, May 29, 2020, 04:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I bought one (they only came in white way back then) on the advice of none other than RutnStrut.  Had never heard of one then-long before I was on this forum.  It finally quit lighting this year.  It has seen a lot of hunts, a lot of kills and a lot of adventures.  I was gonna trash it, but I think I will take it apart and try to fix it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

camotoe

I have a draw full of them , my newest quit working after 8 months , lots of swamp hunting . It had been floating in my canoe . So I pulled out one that had quit a couple years ago and it fired up . Maybe it needed s couple years to dry out who knows. I think u will try the clean out on one and see how it goes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

God bless Thermacells and Snake boots....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

captpete

Quote from: cuppednlocked on May 29, 2020, 10:53:01 PM
Thermacell will repair the unit (sounds like the igniter) for the cost of shipping.  Look up the repair submission form and send them the unit with return postage paid.  I've used this service and have no complaints.

For the cost of shipping both ways, you could almost buy a new one....see them on sale for $20 quite often.

cuppednlocked

I'd buy every $20 Thermacell I could find.  I guess I'm not as lucky as you are.

The repair service wasn't expensive and is a viable option.

Sir-diealot

I have one I got last year and have not taken out of the packaging, I will be going fishing later this week and will use it then.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spurs

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 01, 2020, 10:42:27 PM
I have one I got last year and have not taken out of the packaging this week, I will be going fishing last this week and will use it then.

I actually never turned mine on this year, but it's one of the few things in my vest that I don't use daily, but has a permanent spot...
This year is going to suck!!!

Adirondacks89

Quote from: Bowguy on May 30, 2020, 08:19:33 PM
Quote from: Adirondacks89 on May 29, 2020, 05:54:11 PM
They're junk. Bought one on Amazon because the one I had stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Came on the 20th. Took it out the 21 worked fine. Took it out the 22nd and it stopped staying lit and is now doing the same thing as the old one I had. $20 to use it one morning. I won't buy another one and won't recommend them to anyone. Some nice 40%deet spray does the same thing.

Funny. Bet lots of guys disagree w ya. Best thing ever imo

I bet there are a lot of people who agree and a lot of people that disagree just like everything else in life. That's such a weird comment to make you sound personally attacked. Relax man other people are allowed to have opinions and mine are based on my experiences. If you like them use them but there's no way in hell breathing in those chemicals is good for your lungs I mean you just sit there for hours breathing it in whether you can smell it or not you're breathing it in lol.

captpete

Quote from: cuppednlocked on June 01, 2020, 10:05:09 PM
I'd buy every $20 Thermacell I could find.  I guess I'm not as lucky as you are.

The repair service wasn't expensive and is a viable option.

Yep, it is a viable option and the expense of it would be how much shipping would cost.  Just saying you can probably pick up a new one for the cost of shipping the old one to & from the company. If you are looking for a new one here are some for less than $20:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacell-Mr300-Portable-Mosquito-Repellent-Device-Olive-Green/740153462?selected=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermacell-MR300-Portable-Mosquito-Repeller-Olive-Green-Green-/274364107732

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Cartridge-Repellent-Protection-Mosquito-Free/dp/B07JCQ8GQJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1EEJR3RIY0AN2&dchild=1&keywords=thermacell+mosquito+repeller&qid=1591101056&sprefix=thermacell%2Caps%2C560&sr=8-5

Bowguy

Quote from: Adirondacks89 on June 02, 2020, 07:27:58 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on May 30, 2020, 08:19:33 PM
They're junk. Bought one on Amazon because the one I had stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Came on the 20th. Took it out the 21 worked fine. Took it out the 22nd and it stopped staying lit and is now doing the same thing as the old one I had. $20 to use it one morning. I won't buy another one and won't recommend them to anyone. Some nice 40%deet spray does the same thing.

Funny. Bet lots of guys disagree w ya. Best thing ever imo

I bet there are a lot of people who agree and a lot of people that disagree just like everything else in life. That's such a weird comment to make you sound personally attacked. Relax man other people are allowed to have opinions and mine are based on my experiences. If you like them use them but there's no way in hell breathing in those chemicals is good for your lungs I mean you just sit there for hours breathing it in whether you can smell it or not you're breathing it in lol.

Not sure why you think that. Nothing is further from the truth. Look at everyone agreeing how great they are.
Listen I'm an electrician. In my life perhaps once I've seen a brand new Klein pliers fail instantly. It actually broke upon cutting like the temper on metal wasn't right or something.
A long history w em shows they're great pliers. Imagine if you bought them first time and said they're "garbage".
Now a 20 dollar item could have the occasional issue. Return it and get another. Might feel the same as everyone else. They're fantastic. If mine broke today, I'd not care. I'd buy another later. Best 20 bucks ever. Try it again you'll see. Ask the forum about sawyers. It works right? Same price and the 20 bucks is gone after spraying a few clothes. (Buy permethrin concentrate at tractor supply, much much cheaper and works better btw) Ask about TSS shot. You spend 35-50 bucks and get 5 mins practice session out of em. It's seemingly a much better value if you ask me.

Gooserbat

Did you contact the manufacturer?
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on May 30, 2020, 09:36:48 PM
I bought one (they only came in white way back then) on the advice of none other than RutnStrut.  Had never heard of one then-long before I was on this forum.  It finally quit lighting this year.  It has seen a lot of hunts, a lot of kills and a lot of adventures.  I was gonna trash it, but I think I will take it apart and try to fix it.
LOL!! I'd forgotten about that. Glad to know I have given you good advice!! I always take my Thermacell with me when hunting in Dixie.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Sir-diealot

How would I tell what model mine is? It does not say on the box. Here is a picture I had taken to thank the people I had won the gift certificate from, I would like to try to find a camo holster for it and don't know if model number matters.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

captpete

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 02, 2020, 11:21:36 AM
How would I tell what model mine is? It does not say on the box. Here is a picture I had taken to thank the people I had won the gift certificate from, I would like to try to find a camo holster for it and don't know if model number matters.

By looking at the picture of the unit on the box and the Thermacell website, it appears to be a MR150. Their website only shows 1 holster and it is black. It does say it is compatible with the 150, 300 and 450.

Personally I don't like camo accessories(flashlights, knives, holsters, etc.). When you lay them on the ground or drop them, they are harder to find. I have $120 camo release laying the timber that I couldn't find when I dropped it out of the treestand when it was still dark one morning. Now my release is silver....just my 2 cents.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on June 02, 2020, 12:01:13 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 02, 2020, 11:21:36 AM

By looking at the picture of the unit on the box and the Thermacell website, it appears to be a MR150. Their website only shows 1 holster and it is black. It does say it is compatible with the 150, 300 and 450.

Personally I don't like camo accessories(flashlights, knives, holsters, etc.). When you lay them on the ground or drop them, they are harder to find. I have $120 camo release laying the timber that I couldn't find when I dropped it out of the treestand when it was still dark one morning. Now my release is silver....just my 2 cents.
I fully understand were you are coming from bud, I am just rather odd about some things, like I want a Shakespeare pole to go with my Shakespeare reel and I want the camo pouch for this. I once walked into church and commenced to put all the different colored hangers in order by color and  name, all the black ones with black ones, all the blue ones were next, then pink ones and then white ones and I just did that because looking at them mismatched aggravated me. If you look in my closet all my clothes are in order by if they have short sleeves or long sleeves and then by if they have wording or emblems on them and then the jeans are in order by size and color. Has caused more than one argument with my GF that just puts anything anywhere, man then just infuriates me.

John Koenig: