News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thermacell does not work?

Started by Marc, May 29, 2020, 04:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

So my Thermacell will not light???

New butane put in, everything turned to the correct positions, and I push the button and nothing happens (although I can hear the click of the button)...  Anyone have any ideas on how I might get it going or what could be wrong?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

SinGin

Throw away world these days, might as well just get a new one. Check you tube first though. You can practically learn to do brain surgery watching some of those videos.

LaLongbeard

Probably just worn out I've had one quit on me. I keep one in the vest and a brand new one in the box I keep in the truck. Some places I hunt I'd rather forget my gun than my thermocell
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Adirondacks89

They're junk. Bought one on Amazon because the one I had stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Came on the 20th. Took it out the 21 worked fine. Took it out the 22nd and it stopped staying lit and is now doing the same thing as the old one I had. $20 to use it one morning. I won't buy another one and won't recommend them to anyone. Some nice 40%deet spray does the same thing.

bbcoach

I've had mine for years.  I've found out mine will light on the first click of the ignitor if I turn the butane on, wait about 5 to 10 seconds for the gas to build up and hit the ignitor a couple of times.  The clear window will spark and will immediately glow red.  I try to hold mine horizontal and level when igniting.  Just my 2 cents.

Spurs

Took one apart a few years ago that had quite lighting.  Once I ran a tooth pick through some tubes and poured alcohol into every other hole I could find, it has been working ever since.  It was kinda tedious, but I managed to get everything back easy enough...just make sure you got a glasses repair kits for those tiny screw drivers, some alcohol, tooth picks, and about 30 minutes.
This year is going to suck!!!

Tail Feathers

Mine wouldn't stay lit halfway thru the season.  Rather than spend an hour dissecting it, I tossed it and bought a new one.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RutnNStrutn

My original Thermacell is a manual light version. No switches or buttons or igniters to fail. It has worked for many years, without failing me a single time. I've relegated it to back up status now, but I love that model of Thermacell.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

310 gauge

I've got one in every blind bag I own. Turkey, Deer, swamp hunts for Ducks, and Resident Canada Geese and a couple more in the truck for spares. In Eastern North Carolina the salt marsh mosquitoes can carry off fresh born poults if they ain't quick.  They are pretty much a necessity here.

Mossberg90MN

Yea I'm gonna say there not particularly too expensive, maybe just buy another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I hunt in the deep south and you can bet your life that when it warms up , I have one with me always and they work fantastic.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

cuppednlocked

Thermacell will repair the unit (sounds like the igniter) for the cost of shipping.  Look up the repair submission form and send them the unit with return postage paid.  I've used this service and have no complaints.

Greg Massey

I agree , keep one with me at all times , if it stops working , put it aside and get you new one. Send it off for repair in the off season ..

Bowguy

Quote from: Adirondacks89 on May 29, 2020, 05:54:11 PM
They're junk. Bought one on Amazon because the one I had stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Came on the 20th. Took it out the 21 worked fine. Took it out the 22nd and it stopped staying lit and is now doing the same thing as the old one I had. $20 to use it one morning. I won't buy another one and won't recommend them to anyone. Some nice 40%deet spray does the same thing.

Funny. Bet lots of guys disagree w ya. Best thing ever imo

wchadw

Quote from: Bowguy on May 30, 2020, 08:19:33 PM
Quote from: Adirondacks89 on May 29, 2020, 05:54:11 PM

Funny. Bet lots of guys disagree w ya. Best thing ever imo
Yep. A must have down south in the spring. I can tell if mine is out of fuel within a few minutes cause the skeeters will be all over me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk