OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Guys don't do this on public land

Started by yelpy, May 26, 2020, 06:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

"I wonder if one still gets "peppered" by the small TTS shot or if it is worse in your scenerio.  That's what makes me nervous.  I've been rained on in a dove field and it can sting...I'm guessing TSS "sting range" is way out there."

That is one of the three reasons I refuse to shoot TSS.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

We have the same problem with these want be turkey hunters , this year was worse because of people being off work.. lot more people who usually don't turkey hunt was showing up to get out of the house...

Brian Fahs

In reference to the peppered post by pa boxcall.

If the decoy was 30 and the hunter was 30 beyond that is 60. The current load I hunt with in my sp-10 is 2 1/2 ounces of #7 tss. At 60 yards being peppered with that would require a helicopter ride at best or most likely a stretcher to a slow ride in hurst. It really makes you focus on identifying your target and what lies beyond it. Way beyond it.

paboxcall

Quote from: Brian Fahs on May 26, 2020, 04:42:22 PM
In reference to the peppered post by pa boxcall.

If the decoy was 30 and the hunter was 30 beyond that is 60. The current load I hunt with in my sp-10 is 2 1/2 ounces of #7 tss. At 60 yards being peppered with that would require a helicopter ride at best or most likely a stretcher to a slow ride in hurst. It really makes you focus on identifying your target and what lies beyond it. Way beyond it.

Agree Brian. TSS changes everything.

This was probably 20 years ago and with #6 lead. One pellet did hairline crack the corner part of the lens of his glasses. Fortunately they were his prescription safety glasses from work and he happened to be wearing them.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

strum

Quote from: silvestris on May 26, 2020, 02:03:56 PM
"I wonder if one still gets "peppered" by the small TTS shot or if it is worse in your scenerio.  That's what makes me nervous.  I've been rained on in a dove field and it can sting...I'm guessing TSS "sting range" is way out there."

That is one of the three reasons I refuse to shoot TSS.

You refuse to shoot TSS because your afraid you'll shoot someone with it?

bbcoach

One thing you guys are forgetting is some States allow rifles for turkey hunting.

DP42912

Quote from: bbcoach on May 26, 2020, 07:47:35 PM
One thing you guys are forgetting is some States allow rifles for turkey hunting.
Lord have mercy!

Dtrkyman

Here's a tip, when someone walks in on your decoy in the middle of the woods and loudly whistles to make himself know, how about a response!

Some moron in Indiana would not reply to me, I froze and loudly whistled 5 times, finally spotted the fool and walked out the way I came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRG3

Even on private land, I had a friend come to my hen calling very late in the morning. Neither of us was aware of the other's presence. Each of us continued to respond to the other's yelping with more aggressive calling, hoping to drag in a gobbler. After about 5 minutes of this, out of the blue a couple of long beards came to investigate the situation and I got one of them. A few minutes later, my friend walked over the hill and congratulated me, my first indication that someone else was even in the woods. One of the commandants of gun safety is to know your target, which we both practiced on that day.

yelpy

Quote from: bbcoach on May 26, 2020, 07:47:35 PM

Yes they do but florescent orange is a requirement and rifle use is in the fall season only.

Happy

Wv allows rifles in the spring and no orange required. I believe Virginia does also

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bonasa

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 26, 2020, 06:59:49 AM
Almost as bad as the guys that put out jake or gobbler decoys on public.  Seriously, what are they thinking?

Your thinly veiled jab at decoy use is painfully obvious. What are they thinking? Probably that they want to shoot a tom? Decoys are VERY effective and the masses know it, however stalking is illegal in most states...but there are violators everywhere. Do what you must but keep it legal.

El Pavo Grande

There are quite a few that honestly have no business hunting.  Either they have zero sense or have simply never been taught anything.  That was abundantly evident in the Spring of Covid-19.   

I agree with a required stamp to turkey hunt.  We don't have one in Arkansas, but I think we need one.  It would eliminate some pressure, and as said could eliminate some dangerous situations.  It's not the solution, but could see it have at lease a little influence.   
Advantages: 
*Identify the actual number of turkey hunters in the state.  Nothing more than a guesstimate right now. 
*Generate $$ for habitat, etc.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: bonasa on May 29, 2020, 12:39:07 PM
however stalking is illegal in most states

actually its not. just a few, mainly the northeast.

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on May 29, 2020, 06:23:31 PM

I agree with a required stamp to turkey hunt.  We don't have one in Arkansas, but I think we need one.  It would eliminate some pressure, and as said could eliminate some dangerous situations.  It's not the solution, but could see it have at lease a little influence.   
Advantages: 
*Identify the actual number of turkey hunters in the state.  Nothing more than a guesstimate right now. 

Arkansas does have a voluntary one as of 2020. See link below:

https://www.agfc.com/en/news/2020/02/12/arkansas-turkey-stamp-promotes-habitat-conservation-and-awareness/

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 29, 2020, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: bonasa on May 29, 2020, 12:39:07 PM
however stalking is illegal in most states

actually its not. just a few, mainly the northeast.

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on May 29, 2020, 06:23:31 PM

Advantages: 

Arkansas does have a voluntary one as of 2020. See link below:

https://www.agfc.com/en/news/2020/02/12/arkansas-turkey-stamp-promotes-habitat-conservation-and-awareness/

Voluntary, but not required.