OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Guys don't do this on public land

Started by yelpy, May 26, 2020, 06:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

I can't believe the amount of hunters on public land that try to sneak in on hen sounds. It's dangerous and PA hunters need to stop it. Learn your birds. A hen sound coming from the ground before fly down time isn't a roosted bird. Think of the other hunters out there and yourselfs safety not just about killing a bird.

turkeymanjim

Quote from: yelpy on May 26, 2020, 06:00:08 AM
I can't believe the amount of hunters on public land that try to sneak in on hen sounds. It's dangerous and PA hunters need to stop it. Learn your birds. A hen sound coming from the ground before fly down time isn't a roosted bird. Think of the other hunters out there and yourselfs safety not just about killing a bird.
I feel the same way. This same thing happened to me 6 times in the first 2 weeks of the season here in PA. I think the game commission  needs to have hunters buy a turkey stamp in order for you to turkey hunt. Pa is one of the only states that doesn't have this. I think this will get rid of people walking in on people that are calling. I think most people don't have the slightest clue what they are doing out the in the turkey woods. They get their tag with their license, and the night before turkey season they are turkey hunters. With a stamp, I think alot of this will be eliminated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

yelpy

That guy that slips in on you is the guy that will end up shooting you. That is what scares me. People just get too excited and don't think.

Guys just have to think of that hen calling as a possible hunter and make the right decision. It's happening way to often.

Ihuntoldschool

Almost as bad as the guys that put out jake or gobbler decoys on public.  Seriously, what are they thinking?   

fallhnt

It's turkey season

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

yelpy

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 26, 2020, 06:59:49 AM
Almost as bad as the guys that put out jake or gobbler decoys on public.  Seriously, what are they thinking?

Decoys can be a dead give away that someone is hunting there. It can work both ways though.

turkeymanjim

I have heard of one incident that a guy shot a hunters decoy in pa. Yes I use hen decoys sometimes when I hunt. That decoy might have saved that hunters life, that the irresponsible hunter shot the decoy and not the source of the sound.

yelpy

Quote from: turkeymanjim on May 26, 2020, 08:13:44 AM
I have heard of one incident that a guy shot a hunters decoy in pa. Yes I use hen decoys sometimes when I hunt. That decoy might have saved that hunters life, that the irresponsible hunter shot the decoy and not the source of the sound.

Its unfortunate guys don't think. They just want to shoot something. Unfortunately it was someone's decoy they walked in on. Luckily it wasn't the hunter. I sure would rather my decoy get shot. That is exactly what ruins hunting for guys who enjoy it. I'm getting to the point its not worth turkey hunting anymore on public property.

LaLongbeard

I don't see how buying a stamp will stop idiots or even slow them down lol. One of the reasons I hate seeing the "crawlers" on Utube the chances of sneaking or crawling up on a hen or Gobbler is slight at best but in certain circumstances it can be done. And when the utube hero's video themselves doing it every other hunt it convinces the average mouth breather that it's a legitimate hunting tactic and anyone can do it.So lacking ANY form of hunting or calling  ability they do what their hero does and hit the ground to low crawl their turkey. Not only is the person hen calling in a dangerous situation the "crawler" is taking a chance as well. There are as many people that will shoot at movement as there are that shoot at sounds .
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

idgobble

In my state, a few years ago, an off duty F&G CO was turkey hunting and a guy (can't really call him a turkey hunter),  heard him calling, crawled up and shot his hen decoy.  ::)

Marc

Quote from: yelpy on May 26, 2020, 08:05:12 AM

Decoys can be a dead give away that someone is hunting there. It can work both ways though.

You are looking at that through your perspective...   Yep, if I see a set of decoys, I will avoid that area.  But I think that there is a growing percentage of idiots that will sneak up on those decoys for "a closer shot at them."

What I am noticing, is that in all the hunting I do, the single largest growing population of the type of hunters, is the idiots.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

paboxcall

Perhaps in a field. But in the woods, people see what they think they should see. The following were both in PA:

Close friend had his inflatable jake decoy blasted by a guy who stalked into his big woods set up. Fortunately he was only peppered as the stalker was 30 yards from jake and my friend was 30 yards behind that. Could have been much, much worse.

Hunting with a friend on private ground bordering public, had a guy stalk into our set up at three quarter arms ready to blast a decoy. We yelled before he could shoot, and he turned and walked off down the pipeline back toward the public ground like he was on a mid morning stroll.

I stopped using decoys after those two experiences.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

guesswho

I learned a long time ago that when dealing with a large portion of the population,if the ears hear and the eyes see, the mind believes.   Seems like there are more of these people showing up every year.  And I'm not just talking hunting.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

btomlin

Quote from: paboxcall on May 26, 2020, 11:58:02 AM

Perhaps in a field. But in the woods, people see what they think they should see. The following were both in PA:

Close friend had his inflatable jake decoy blasted by a guy who stalked into his big woods set up. Fortunately he was only peppered as the stalker was 30 yards from jake and my friend was 30 yards behind that. Could have been much, much worse.

Hunting with a friend on private ground bordering public, had a guy stalk into our set up at three quarter arms ready to blast a decoy. We yelled before he could shoot, and he turned and walked off down the pipeline back toward the public ground like he was on a mid morning stroll.

I stopped using decoys after those two experiences.

I wonder if one still gets "peppered" by the small TTS shot or if it is worse in your scenerio.  That's what makes me nervous.  I've been rained on in a dove field and it can sting...I'm guessing TSS "sting range" is way out there.   :(