OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public Land Rios

Started by Garrett Trentham, May 12, 2020, 09:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

The cornerstone on this church in western KS was dated 1930. Unknowingly, its construction marked a turning point in American history. We think times are tough now, but we don't know tough times.

By the time this church was built, bison had been extirpated from Kansas - replaced by vast herds of cattle grazing what prairie was yet to be converted to row crops. In the years preceding, early settlers had plowed under as much of the virgin prairie soil as possible. Working their hands and feet bare in an attempt to provide for their families. The soil was good, well aerated and fertile. Towns sprung up across the region, schools and post offices were built. Trains took away cattle to be slaughtered and brought in the supplies needed to build communities.

But as we all know, good times are always punctuated by adversity. During the summer of 1930, dust bowl droughts began to consume the Great Plains. Some of the worst drought years in US history were exasperated by the unmatched loss of prairie sod in the years prior. Crops failed and the dry soil had nothing to hold it down as the ever-present Kansas wind sent it airborn almost continuously. Prairie dust storms reached as far as New England. For many families, livestock died and money dried up. Options for survival became scarce.

No doubt there was some heavy prayer going on inside this church in its first few years. Since then, the local landscape has changed - in many ways for the better. I hope those men are proud of what has become of the land they helped settle and farm. Soil conservation and productivity is a top priority of famers in that area today. No-till farming, terracing, riparian buffers, shelter belts, reestablishment of prairie grassland, and various other practices have helped much of the wildlife. I'm confident there were no turkeys within earshot of that church when it was built, but that is no longer the case. The turkeys are there once again, and because of that, so am I.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Spurs Up

You should post more often.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

RutnNStrutn

You write well.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

zsully

Very well written. Congrats on the successful hunt.

Greg Massey

Nice story and gobbler ...

Yoteduster

Interesting story and a nice gobbler..congrats

turkey_picker

Congrats and thanks for sharing

JeffC

Congrats,  great read, great pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

knifeshark

Sweet! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCL

You put the words together very well.

AppalachianHollers

I love it when hunting land has old structures or cemeteries on them. Once hunted deer on my family's homestead in Nebraska (everyone moved South, but still have the land). Walked into the house where my grandfather was born, now abandoned, and noticed a calendar hanging on the wall. It was from 1944, right when they moved out of it into the new house just 80 yards away.

Makes vivid the connection to the past, beyond just the general, distant idea that people used to hunt for sustenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Well written sir.  Congrats on the bird and I really like the pics too.   :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ElkTurkMan

Excellent read and great pictures!!!

Cowboy

Great historical story and congrats on the Rio