turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

extra choke tube

Started by Southerngobbler, May 11, 2020, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

Does anyone carry an extra choke tube in their pack for when they end up in the really thick stuff. Maybe a modified choke. Where I hunt there's places you might get a decent shot but also places where you don't even want to sit down cuz it's too thick. Sometimes toward the end of our season some of the gobblers stay in the swamp bottoms.

Tom007

Wow, good thought, has merit.....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

No i don't ... just something extra to carry .... I just choose a choke that's covers all my turkey needs..

Hook hanger

If I know I'm hunting thick stuff I just chose a gun I have set up for it. My shots typically run 12yds to 40yds. But if I'm hunting a western state or open crop fields I usually have a gun set up(and patterned) for 25yds+.

Liljake

I carry 1 heavy game load just in case I have to set up set up in some thick stuff. With my single shots  it's easier to swap out the shell than switch tubes. Why use a $7 shell when a .40 cent one will get the job done at close range. Careful swapping tubes in the field, any little dirt or debris on the fine threads of a choke tube can booger up the threads. :z-twocents:
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Yoder409

Nope.

If you know your gun/load ........ 4 feet or 40 yards........ one tube.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

mcw3734

I do not. But... I have toyed with the idea of hunting with an over/under for similar flexibility.

I have a red dot sight and I test pattern it at 10 yards to be confident if something ends up in my lap.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

NCL

The country I hunt is open rolling hills with oak trees, the areas that are bushy you do not want to be in because it is poison oak which is the long way of saying "no". Certainly can see where the idea had merit depending on where you hunt. 

Southerngobbler

Quote from: NCL on May 12, 2020, 10:28:16 AM
The country I hunt is open rolling hills with oak trees, the areas that are bushy you do not want to be in because it is poison oak which is the long way of saying "no". Certainly can see where the idea had merit depending on where you hunt.
Yeah, I was noticing the tight areas where I hunt are full of poison Ivy-its everywhere.

howl

When you're changing it is when it will show up. That's how it goes on a dove field.

If you look at the overall diameter of your pattern at different distances, you might notice it is the same regardless of choke. Just the center of the pattern grows more or less dense.

Marc

No...  No extra choke.

Something else to carry, and something else to dig through the bag and find, and something else to lose, and something else to worry about (i.e. "should I keep the tight choke in, or put the more open one in).

I shoot a full choke with heavy shot, which kills birds which patterns quite well out to 40 yards and probably 45 yards.

And come on guys...  Let's face it.  Shooting a turkey on the ground with a shotgun is not difficult.  It just isn't.

I see all these guys (some of them pretty good woodsmen) on Youtube calling in birds and then missing...   I have to wonder, is it the fact that many hunters are shooting chokes so tight that they require optics to shoot them accurately?

Me...  I put on a choke that is capable of shooting birds about 10 yards further than I care to shoot them...  The habitat and nature of my hunting puts most of my shooting at 30 yards or under...  I need a choke capable of 40 yard shooting.

The idea of shooting a shotgun is to have a usable pattern, and allow for some margin of error...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dtrkyman

Never have, however my 20ga I have two chokes a 580 and a 555 that both shoot the same poi, so I have considered using the more open choke in the timber but just went with the 555.

I would have liked to have the open choke for my second Missouri bird, he got in tight in an old cutover!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 15, 2020, 09:33:53 AM
Never have, however my 20ga I have two chokes a 580 and a 555 that both shoot the same poi, so I have considered using the more open choke in the timber but just went with the 555.

I would have liked to have the open choke for my second Missouri bird, he got in tight in an old cutover!

Nope. Figure out what Im using before season and I know I can cover from point zero past my maximum shooting distance. I use the KISS method as much as I can.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

LRD

No, I don't carry an extra tube.  I try to choose a pattern that gives a good hunting/forgivable pattern.