OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Damage using tss in non tss choke ?

Started by Bobby5, May 10, 2020, 06:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I was just curious of what kind of damage using tss in a non tss rated choke. What does it do ? Blowup, scar it , etc. ? Figured if tss will mess up a choke it would damage the barrel as well. I was just curious I have a kicks gt and it's not rated for tss but I was watching springthundertv and they were pattering there guns with tss #9 and kicks sent the gt choke tubes to use.  I was just curious how it would damage the choke.
Thanks

Spurs Up

TSS is not only denser, but also harder than your barrel and choke; whether they are "TSS rated" or not. It can and will score both if shot frequently. That's why hand loaders use heavy-duty wads and/or Mylar linings to help protect against damage.

Some advise not to shoot heavy loads of TSS through flush mounted chokes. I'm sure Sumtoy knows more me and most others on the matter of chokes.

RED NECK

I emailed kicks over a year ago and asked them.Can you shoot tss through the gt chokes and within 30 minutes i had a reply  "Yes!"   
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Longshanks

Talked to the people at Kicks a few days ago and said it is fine to shoot Federal TSS out of their chokes even the .655.

Bobby5

Ok thanks I was curious if shootings a lot of rounds would mess up the barrel ?

Longshanks

The shot travels down the barrel inside of a plastic sleeve/wad. I'm not sure how it could damage the barrel but I'm also sure there are claims out there that it does.  There are claims all over the place that you cannot shoot HTL through Remingtons Lead Only turkey chokes but if you look at their website they say that they have tested the chokes extensively with HTL and there was no damage. Who knows.

SumToy

This is a question that you will get different answers on.    It all in what manufacture you ask.     Will it hurt yes if it comes in contact with the barrel or choke it will.  That is why mylar is used alot.   Now I have seen Federal HWT and HV13 hurt chokes.    Think about this.   Your lawn mower has steel blades that cuts something that you can brake and animals eat but they wear out.  Chain saw cuts wood with a steel chain but you got to sharpen it. 

So all shot can hurt IF IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE BARREL/CHOKE.   That is why I say shoot cheap guns to turkey hunt and keep your high end guns to wing shoot and other stuff.   

Now chokes take the biggest beating of all.  I have seen just about all brands of chokes with damage so best thing is to just shoot them until they stop shooting then change them out shoot more.   

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Longshanks

Quote from: SumToy on May 11, 2020, 10:36:39 AM
This is a question that you will get different answers on.    It all in what manufacture you ask.     Will it hurt yes if it comes in contact with the barrel or choke it will.  That is why mylar is used alot.   Now I have seen Federal HWT and HV13 hurt chokes.    Think about this.   Your lawn mower has steel blades that cuts something that you can brake and animals eat but they wear out.  Chain saw cuts wood with a steel chain but you got to sharpen it. 

So all shoot can hurt IF IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE BARREL/CHOKE.   That is why I say shoot cheap guns to turkey hunt and keep your high end guns to wing shoot and other stuff. 

Now chokes take the biggest beating of all.  I have seen just about all brands of chokes with damage so best thing is to just shoot them until they stop shooting then change them out shoot more.   

Thank you, I've wondered about the longevity of chokes. Seems like more of a reason to stay with lead. My high end guns, Berettas, I only shoot them at turkeys. Not gonna test a lot of Hevi 13 and TSS out of them. Very few shots out of them the life of the gun. Do a lot of testing with lead and end up with lead shooters that have me leaving the high end stuff at home. No need.

AppalachianHollers

Now I have seen Federal HWT and HV13 hurt chokes.   

Federal's Flite-Control Flex allows shot to contact the choke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longshanks

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on May 11, 2020, 12:55:50 PM
Now I have seen Federal HWT and HV13 hurt chokes.   

Federal's Flite-Control Flex allows shot to contact the choke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lead is looking better all the time.

BandedSpur

Seems to be a big (yawn) non-issue to me. I have shot a ton of TSS handloads through my Berettas with no damage whatsoever. I do, however, use mylar in all my handloads just to be on the safe side. ;)

Longshanks

Quote from: BandedSpur on May 12, 2020, 07:14:41 AM
Seems to be a big (yawn) non-issue to me. I have shot a ton of TSS handloads through my Berettas with no damage whatsoever. I do, however, use mylar in all my handloads just to be on the safe side. ;)

Do Federal shells have Mylar wraps in them?

Longshanks

Sumtoy,
    Do you use different grade materials to build TSS chokes or is it just different diameters than one would use with lead or HTL?

SumToy

Federal dont but it is a good set up.   The deal is that any wad can let the shot slip by.    HWT, HV13, Steel or TSS is Hard and IF it comes in contact with the barrel it can do damage.   Choke takes the biggest beating because as the wad inters the choke shot starts to leave the wad and contacts the choke.   (More you choke it more it shows up)  That why I say keep shooting until it stops patterning.   Then replace it.    I just try to warn folks because I see them fussing about marks in chokes and barrels (all brands) all the time.  Then the drama starts with the you should or should not. 

I have nothing to gain or lose with what shell you shoot.  I have fixed barrels that have had damage from all kinds of stuff.   

I just tell folks to be safe.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SumToy

Quote from: Longshanks on May 12, 2020, 08:51:12 AM
Sumtoy,
    Do you use different grade materials to build TSS chokes or is it just different diameters than one would use with lead or HTL?

We run the same 17-4 for everything.  Most all companies run it now. 

We just dont choke it small.  I have lost the sale of chokes because I will not build something small.   That goes for any load.  Target, Buck Shot, Water Fowl or Turkey .