turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vacuum sealer...which one?

Started by sswv, May 07, 2020, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

it's time to replace my old Seal-a-Meal. It's did a pretty good job over the years but doesn't seem to work quite as good these days.  I want to be able to find bags very easy so I'm thinking sticking with a name brand is the way to go.  so...what would you buy? and why?

thanks in advance

Timmer

I have a FoodSaver brand and am happy with it.  It's lasted a long time.  I gave my dad one for Christmas a number of years ago and his is still going strong as well.  No problem finding brand name and aftermarket bags for it. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Tomfoolery

About a year ago i bit the bullet and bought a Vacpak-it VMC10OP.  It's a chamber vacuum with an oil pump for cooling. Bags are super cheap compared to foodsaver and you can vacuum wet food/meat. Even vacuum water. I use mine all the time, its especially nice when I make sausage, I can pack 200 lbs without ever having to let it cool. It takes about 25 seconds per pack and is quiet. It's a bit more pricey but it has been a great investment for me since I use it all the time. The bags are around 7-8 cents a piece. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vacpak-it-vmc10op-chamber-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-10-1-4-seal-bar-and-oil-pump/186VMC10OP.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZjsupai6QIV0P7jBx1tYwPLEAQYAiABEgJhJ_D_BwE

Old Timer

Quote from: sswv on May 07, 2020, 10:06:15 AM
it's time to replace my old Seal-a-Meal. It's did a pretty good job over the years but doesn't seem to work quite as good these days.  I want to be able to find bags very easy so I'm thinking sticking with a name brand is the way to go.  so...what would you buy? and why?

thanks in advance
Had a problem with mine took the gaskets off and wet them with water. Rung them out and installed them. Works like new. Try this before you buy another one.

Sixes

I kill a lot of deer every year, a few turkeys and put up fish, okra, etc every year. I have used a Foodsaver brand sealer for at least 15 years.

I own 3 (one was about 140 and the other 2 were on clearance for about 40). I use the 2 cheaper ones to speed up the sealing process when doing multiple deer at one time. The biggest difference in the cheap vs the more expensive one is the higher priced one has a bag cutter built in and multiple speed setting for vacuuming and settings for wet/dry vacuuming.

Make sure you get one with a bag cutter built in to the unit.

As far as bags go, Foodsaver routinely has sales on boxes of bags and they are cheaper the more you buy. If mine quit today, I would have a new one ordered immediately.

Muzzy61

Food saver has worked well for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

MNGobbler

I have a Food Saver sportsman model and love it. I have had it now for 7 years and it works like a charm. I can either use it with pre-made bags or make my own bags as it has that capability. I also like that I can plug mine into my truck so I can use it in the field if I want. I have taken my on hunting trips and processed my game on the spot , vacuum sealed it and into the cooler it went. Get home and into the freezer.

WALKER80

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-pro-350-external-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-12-seal-bar/120VMA350.html

I have this one.  Also recommend buying the bags from this company as well as any heavy duty ziplock bags you may need. 

Tomfoolery

Quote from: WALKER80 on May 07, 2020, 03:24:41 PM
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-pro-350-external-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-12-seal-bar/120VMA350.html

I have this one.  Also recommend buying the bags from this company as well as any heavy duty ziplock bags you may need.

This is where i order my bags also. 1000 bags will last the average person a very long time.

Greg Massey

I have 2 foodSavers and some other brand , i like FoodSaver the best ...

RutnNStrutn

Food Saver is the best.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

squidd

Food saver and bags are cheap on Amazon

lunghit

I use a Foodsaver and have no complaints. I don't give it tons of use but a few times a month and it's been fine. This is where I get my bags from:
https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzpfO7Imj6QIVlITICh2gwgUGEAAYASAAEgJB7vD_BwE
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Tom007

Amen on the food saver. Love it.
"Solo hunter"

Tomfoolery

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 07, 2020, 08:13:15 PM
Food Saver is the best.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.
I'll disagree. I've been through 5 of em before i switched to the chamber vac. Once you use a chamber you'll never buy another foodsaver.