turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heard Birds Gobble at Last

Started by rifleman, May 05, 2020, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

Been hunting since VA season came in on 11 April and in WV since opening.  I may have heard 4 or 5 gobble all season. This morning I had three roosted in a cluster.  They gobbled may 4 or 5 times.  I saw one fly by me at 70 yds. never to be heard/seen again.  Then the hens started maybe 5 of them and when they flew down all of them landed 40 yds from me but a rock outcropping prevented me from seeing them.  As the last one landed a gobbler flew to them.  Never saw or heard them again.  I held tight hoping luck would be on my side.  Maybe ten minutes later I caught glimpses of the 3rd gobbler fly off and land in a field, I guess.  Dead quiet the rest of the morning.  Makes no sense at this time of the season for 3 gobblers and 5 or so hens roosting within a half acre.  None of the birds could see me coming in because I got there a little after 4 AM besides the trees are pretty full with leaves, all poplar area.  Tomorrow rain or not I am going to the fence row where the 3rd gobbler went.  Maybe this is common where some of you hunt but in 45 years this is the first time I have had this combination of birds together.   

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

rifleman

Went this AM (slight rain) and setup in the fenceline where I thought he flew yesterday,  About 6:45 6 hens, 3 jakes and he flew down right in front of me.  Not a gobble on the roost.  I did not call as I was waiting to hear him or one of the other fellas from yesterday.  He'll eat well.