OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many turkeys have you killed?

Started by Tennessee spur collector, May 04, 2020, 09:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ol bob

At my age killing is not important any more just like getting out and seeing them.

outdoorsmen

34 since 1995. Here in Illinois you can only get a maximum of 3 tags if they are available to be drawn in the lottery.  1 tag is only good for a week and county specific.   I want to kill 100 before I die but I dont think its possible, not in this state.

sswv

killed my first one in the mid 70's and have seen a many of'em flop since then.  I can say one thing for sure.....after all those years the next one will be just as exciting as the first.  I am pretty much the ice man when it comes to deer or bear.  I've killed +150" whitetail and 300#+ black bear with a bow and stay as cool as a cucumber but dang if them gobblers don't get me excited and you know what, I LOVE IT.

GobbleNut

As other "old guys" like me have said, the numbers really are not important anymore.  I lost track of the number I personally have killed years ago.  Thinking about it, I can say pretty confidently that I have "participated" in the demise of several hundred gobblers in the spring season over the decades, a great percentage of them on public ground.  Nothing remarkable to be said about it other than I have been at it a long time and with a lot of great hunting buddies. 

The only qualifier I would throw in is that, for the first couple of decades, we were hunting in a single state with a one-gobbler limit.  More recently, we have expanded our opportunities for "body count" considerably, although that has never been high on anybody's priority list.  If it was, you could add a couple hundred more birds to the total.

All of that is irrelevant anymore.  It is all about the experiences, friendships, and the commorraderie,....not to mention the interactions with this magnificent bird.  :)

cliff.s.timmons

Ive turkey hunted since 2001 and I think I am somewhere around 100 give or take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonasa

Last 20 years killed 61, in addition called in 34 for other people. Good clean fun that never gets old.

bear hunter

guesswho

I killed my first in 1966 and have really been hard on them since.   I'm pretty confident I know the exact number.  But worst case, I might be off a couple.   I'd be ashamed to post the number, plus most folks would probably doubt the number anyway.   I will say Reagan was President when I hit triple digits.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ShortMagFan

I've put my eyes on seven long beards in shotgun range this season. I shot one and my son shot one. I also killed a cedar tree that stepped in front of one of the gobblers. The tally of kills isn't my measure of success anymore

silvestris

96; probably let about half that number walk for a myriad of reasons and for the most part felt better about the ones that I let walk.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Spurs Up

Quote from: guesswho on May 05, 2020, 11:59:56 AM
I killed my first in 1966 and have really been hard on them since.   I'm pretty confident I know the exact number.  But worst case, I might be off a couple.   I'd be ashamed to post the number, plus most folks would probably doubt the number anyway.   I will say Reagan was President when I hit triple digits.

Last I knew, you had the greatest necklace display of spurs I've ever seen. Still got it?

wernerjd

Around 50 Toms and a couple Jakes.

guesswho

Quote from: Spurs Up on May 05, 2020, 12:32:57 PM
Last I knew, you had the greatest necklace display of spurs I've ever seen. Still got it?
Yes :TooFunny:   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: guesswho on May 05, 2020, 11:59:56 AM

Funny Ronnie. Same things for me. I killed my first in 1994 and I know the exact number but people don't believe me when I tell them.

Turkeyman

I know how many I've killed. But it's the ones that got away because I did something stupid that haunt me!!