OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Yikes

Started by brittman, May 04, 2020, 02:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brittman

It has been a few years since I have hunted an earlier MN season, but an old friend wanted to get out and turkey hunt together.  Been a little tough to get gobblers to commit to gun range right now.   Birds each day, but nothing in the clear under 50 yards.  Mix of private land and public land, but our permission is not continuous so not easy to move around on birds.

Today I went back to some public land (by myself) where I cut my teeth spring turkey hunting some 20 years ago or so.   It is northern birds (back then the top of their range), deep woods and public.  I suppose this is public land hunting before it was a thing.   They rarely roost in the same place two days in a row and you are hunting sound more that vision.   When they come into view they are usually in range. 

I had canvased quite a few spots looking for a receptive gobbler.   Nothing easy, so I made the big walk ... half mile in to a ridge line trail ... about a 1/2 mile down the ridge line (lightly trampled trail) I connected with a gobble ...   Found a good tree with a clear view, but was positioned about 15 yards from the ridgeline and could not see down the hillside.

Gobbler and I exchanged words for about an hour.   I tried going quiet for a bit, I tried aggressive cutting and yelping.   He was generally  moving closer and seemed like he was going to circle.  He went quiet and I went quiet with him.   After about 30 minutes I saw a black figure move through some brush right along the ridgeline.   Lifted my gun and was ready.  Come to momma old Tom.

Well it was not a gobbler, not even a turkey, I was now sitting about 30 yards or less from a young and curious black bear cub.   Again, could not see down the hill from the ridgeline.   I stood up and threw all my stuff in my backpack.  Quick double check and the ground around me was clear.   The cub stood up on its hind legs and scratched a birch tree.   I yelled out "should not be doing that now should you?".  He went back to all fours and walked a couple steps away.  All the while, looking back at this camo talking tree.

My head is on a swivel and I start to back up, gun ready, if that sow comes up over the ridgeline we could be 15 paces away.   I get back to the ridgeline trail and move quickly away.  No panic, no running, not even a fast pace.  Just moving quickly.   Stop about 100 yards down and run inventory.   Everything accounted for - not that I would go back right way to find anything left behind.

Thankfully no sow seen.

Jumped a jake at the trail head on my way out.

I went to three more places looking for a receptive bird, but nothing wanted to play the rest of the morning.

AppalachianHollers

That's a really cool hunt. Thanks for sharing. It's crazy when you jump birds on the way back to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Sounds like exciting day of turkey hunting.