OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would you do if you forgot....

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, May 03, 2020, 03:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

Let's say you drove 2 hours to where you hunt...just for the day...BUT your dumb butt forgot your shotgun and you didn't realize it till you got there.  Do you stay and go in the woods just for the experience,  give up and go home feeling stupid, or make a long trip to fetch your firearm wasting valuable time?  Asking for a friend's wife.   :popcorn:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Southerngobbler

Make the trip home to get the gun. Done it b4 but I was only 10 minutes out.

suburbhunter

Asking for a friends wife... Sure you are

That far, I just make it a scouting mission for next time.

Sir-diealot

I had somebody come from out of town and I was so fixated on getting him setup I left my shotgun on the chair next to the only door out of the house. This was for deer season many moons ago, I went back and got my gun, it was opening day after all.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

I've asked a lot of similar questions for "a friend's wife",...or whoever I could think of at the moment to cover my bonehead mistake of the hour.  :)

Personally, if I was there at first light, I would stay and do recon on the turkeys there.  I would be checking out the "roosted gobbler count" and making note of where as many of them as I could locate were at.  Depending on how much future hunting time I have available, I would then decide if it was worth the effort to drive six hours that day (two to get gun, two back to hunt, and two back home),...or just plan the next trip based on the information gleaned from my "gobbler count". 

If my hunting time was extremely limited, I might do the drive time,...but as it stands now, I would be making plans to go back another day and be there at daybreak near one of the roosted gobblers I found on the first trip.

Tom007

Drive back cursing at yourself. Go back and get that mid morning Tom.....lol
"Solo hunter"

crow

You have 2 hrs to get home and 2 hrs back and you could be back hunting for that 10:00 time which has been good to me. I would go get my gun and hunt.

At least gas prices are down this year, so your friends wife won't be taking too much money out of the grocery budget for the extra gas money.

GobbleNut

If you were there at "gobble thirty", I would never leave to go back before determining gobbler numbers and locations.  In that thirty-minute, golden period before sun-up, you will glean much more valuable information by staying than the thirty minutes you will lose by hurrying home to get your shotgun. (At least that is the reality of hunting out here in the vast, public-land expanses of the west)

NCbowjunkie

Like said above stay and scout out any roosted birds   BUT I would be on the phone pleading and begging for the wife or someone to start there with my gun   The wife always love to have a one up on the other half  especially when they double up the honey-do list

Spitten and drummen

I would call my wife and sweet talk her into heading my way with the gun and meet somewhere half way. Would not stay and hunt without a gun. If I did that I would end up calling up a half dozen different longbeards withen 20 yards on 3 different set ups. Thats my luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Happy

If you have you HEC's suit and turkey scent you are still in business. Just wait till he gets close enough and give him one of those karate chops to the neck and then the people's elbow for the finisher. On a serious note that sucks. Feel for you. I routinely drive an hour one way so I can imagine the frustration

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

I'd hunt and shoot them  with my cell phone if I got the opportunity.    Getting them to the killing spot is most of the fun anyway.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

I'm not dumb enough to forget mine , when it comes to going turkey hunting.  LOL.... :OGturkeyhead: Asking for wife friend ..

eggshell

Man you blew it big Time. Go to the nearest gun dealer or store and buy a new gun. Tell the Mrs. you had to have it to hunt with and you'll sell it and get the money back.....if she ask later about when you'll sell it, say after season, then next month you forgot, then next month you posted in in the forum and no takers, if she remembers the next month say you got a guy coming to look at it.....keep going until she gives up

WV Flopper

Wouldn't tell my wife OR post it here :funnyturkey: