turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What would you do if you forgot....

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, May 03, 2020, 03:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyTurk

Eggshell's answer is the best.  Use the situation to your advantage, to acquire a new firearm.  Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

silvestris

This is another reason for carrying my trusty Boy Scout mirror.  Take it out and look at it so you can see who screwed up.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

1iagobblergetter

I'd go back and get it. I seem to kill the majority later anyway. Once in awhile I even tell myself that when the alarm is going off in the early A.M.
Don't feel bad. I have a friend I went to school with that we only see each other once a year for opening day pheasant season and he forgot his a couple of years ago. He lives a couple of hours from where we hunt. Now that's the first thing I ask him when we get out of our pickups.

dzsmith

2 hours....id probably drive back and get it, its only a 1/2 day loss at best. if I was states away from home...id probably stop by a sporting goods store grant it was legal and all and purchase a simple pump shotgun. maybe even a pawn shop. and do a quick pattern test in the woods to make sure my POI was decent and go hunting.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 03, 2020, 05:35:02 PM
Wouldn't tell my wife OR post it here :funnyturkey:

Wasn't me so I don't care.  Couldn't believe someone would do that on a guided hunt but nobody is perfect.  His wife was mad that he took time off work to turkey hunt and left his shotgun leaning next to her car in the garage.  I laughed about it but he was embarrassed.  Last I heard they are still married. :TooFunny:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

NCL

Eggshell,

That is exactly what I was thinking, go buy a new gun.

Marc

Really would depend on the property I am hunting....  And how far away my house is.  And how confident I am that I either know (or don't) the general pattern of the bird or birds I am hunting.

Hunting Private land, I generally arrive a bit later (cause I can), generally about 1/2 hour before sunrise...  I might hang out and wait for those early gobbles....  I might even try to instigate them just a bit early with some hen calling (which I would never do if I were hunting and staying).

Hunting public, I am driving home and getting the gun (arriving 1 - 2 hours before sunrise)...  Maybe go to a closer area to home than I had originally chosen.  I generally get 1-2 days a week to hunt, no way I am throwing away a day to scout when I might not get to hunt that spot again for another week.

I did forget my gun duck hunting a couple years back...  I was taking my young daughter out the night before, with the promises of staying in my duck cabin and watching a favorite movie and eating popcorn...  1.5 hour drive, and realized I forgot the gun when I was almost there...  Appologized, and drove back to get the gun.

Now...  I hook my keys to the gun case of my gun...  Especially for turkey hunting where I am generally leaving earlier in the morning, and a bit more groggy.

A week ago, I was frantically looking for my gun and keys (everything else loaded the night before)...  Finally realized I had moved them in a little nook by the front door (to save time); a time saver which cost me plenty of time.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

High plains drifter

I would head back, and I would be seriously dejected.

Sixes

Why was it out of the truck to begin with ?

I would probably just drive home and head back that afternoon or the next morning.

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

SteelCityArcher

I've done this more than once with my release for my bow. Helpless feeling when you're all set-up and no release.

Now, I always have an extra release that never leaves my pack "just in case". Problem solved.
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 03, 2020, 04:51:03 PMWould not stay and hunt without a gun. If I did that I would end up calling up a half dozen different longbeards withen 20 yards on 3 different set ups. Thats my luck.

Mine too!!! ;D

Quote from: Happy on May 03, 2020, 05:01:28 PMIf you have you HEC's suit and turkey scent you are still in business. Just wait till he gets close enough and give him one of those karate chops to the neck and then the people's elbow for the finisher.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on May 03, 2020, 09:04:57 PMCouldn't believe someone would do that on a guided hunt but nobody is perfect.  His wife was mad that he took time off work to turkey hunt and left his shotgun leaning next to her car in the garage.  I laughed about it but he was embarrassed.  Last I heard they are still married. :TooFunny:

I don't know what would be worse, actually doing it, or the ball breaking I'd receive afterwards from my friends!!! ;) ;D :lol: :TooFunny:

Gobble Nole

If your ever around Apalachicola Florida and happen to hunt the water management area of Tates Hell, you would understand this story. 

In this particular area, the shotgun is not that important.  It is the thermacell...

If you forget your thermacell, go home and get it...  No chance on venturing out into the woods without it.  No chance...  Dont care if they are gobbling by the truck... 

No chance...

appalachianassassin

I believe I would find somewhere closer to huh

dublelung

I'd drive back home and curse myself about every half mile along the way.