turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wyoming or South Dakota

Started by RiverRoost, May 03, 2020, 08:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I'd like to start looking at plans and areas to go next year to get on a merriam and wondered which of the two places would be best bird number wise and scenery wise. I've heard the black hills are really awesome to hunt but I've always wanted to go to Wyoming as well. Also if y'all have any input on an outfitter or any public area that would be good to scout I'm up for doing the hunt either way. Thanks!

neal

Hit both. Black hills on each side, plenty of birds more land than you could hunt in a month.

I'm sure there's Outfitters in both places but a little research and you'll be in good shape on your own.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

GobbleNut

I haven't been to either,...yet,...but plan on it.  I also plan on potentially hunting public land in both states when I go.  After all, there are apparently good turkey hunting areas on either side of the two state's common border. 

Here's my suggestion:  Pick either SD or WY to start with.  Hunt whichever until you kill a bird,...and then hop over the border, buy a license (I think they both have over-the-counter tags), and hunt the other if you have time to do so. 

Regarding your "outfitter" question, here's my opinion on that:  There is more public land than you can ever hunt in the western states,...and more turkeys than you can ever kill.  If you pay an outfitter, you will cheat yourself out of a public-land hunting experience which will test your skills as a turkey hunter, but still provide an excellent chance of killing a gobbler or two.

On the other hand, if you go the outfitter route, you will most likely hunt a private property filled with lightly-hunted "barnyard" turkeys that you will probably easily kill,...and feel absolutely no reward in what you have accomplished. 

RiverRoost

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 03, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
I haven't been to either,...yet,...but plan on it.  I also plan on potentially hunting public land in both states when I go.  After all, there are apparently good turkey hunting areas on either side of the two state's common border. 

Here's my suggestion:  Pick either SD or WY to start with.  Hunt whichever until you kill a bird,...and then hop over the border, buy a license (I think they both have over-the-counter tags), and hunt the other if you have time to do so. 

Regarding your "outfitter" question, here's my opinion on that:  There is more public land than you can ever hunt in the western states,...and more turkeys than you can ever kill.  If you pay an outfitter, you will cheat yourself out of a public-land hunting experience which will test your skills as a turkey hunter, but still provide an excellent chance of killing a gobbler or two.

On the other hand, if you go the outfitter route, you will most likely hunt a private property filled with lightly-hunted "barnyard" turkeys that you will probably easily kill,...and feel absolutely no reward in what you have accomplished.

Agree with all of what you said. I really want to kill a merriam and my only thought of an outfitter would be to make the most of my time out there with limited  time to be gone on a hunt but saying all that if the turkey numbers are pretty abundant out there and doesn't seem like I'll spend my whole trip chasing my tail searching for sparsely scattered birds then I would 100% go the public route as I see how much land is out there after looking at onX. So  if high bird numbers I see plenty of reason to go that route

mossyoakpro

I have only hired the services of an outfitter once for a Merriams...as has been stated already, there is more country out there than you can hunt in a month or more.  I will NEVER hire an outfitter for a Wyoming or SD turkey again after doing it myself a few times.

OnX maps is a must as there are pockets of public land scattered around that gets little to zero pressure.  Get some good boots and start hiking...it's beautiful country with an abundance of turkeys.  I hunted around the Custer, SD area last year but the snow was so bad the birds started flocking up again and did not gobble...I was able to get one prior to the heavy snow in the Black Hills of Wyoming last season so it was not a complete waste.  Motels are pretty cheap or if you are driving, camping is allowed in the BHNF so you could really save some coin.  Road systems are really good in the forest but be prepared to walk a long ways away from the main roads because of the lazy folks that just ride and call.

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

joey46

At this time WY since tags over the counter.  After so many getting hosed in so many States anything next year for me will be spur of the moment.

Longbeard33

Go stay at Mallo Camp in WY.  It is east of Four Corners, WY right on the SD border.  The rooms are cheap, each with their own bathrooms.  It has a couple of large community kitchens.  I went out there and stayed 6 years in a row hunting public ground with great success.  Get your SD tag first through the mail and then get your WY tag in Newcastle when you want too. 
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.

-Albert Pike

hootgobbleyelpgobble

I just got back from South Dakota this weekend. The birds were still henned up bad. We managed to kill our bird each but it took more time then we thought. Lots of walking and be prepared for the weather. We saw rain, sleet, snow, 45 mph winds and 80plus degree sunny days. Like others have said, don't be afraid to walk far. Take a good pair of binoculars and hiking boots. Expect to have others walk up on you...either hunters, hikers, mountain bikers if you stick to the trails and roads. We saw all 3 out on the trails. Only issues we had were with a local guy 2 different times. 1 was road hunting from his truck with a pistol and the other was when he walked into me set up off the trails with a bird gobbling 2 times.

idgobble

Hunt public land right on the border and enjoy the best of both states. I've bought a WY license and tag and harvested a SD turkey that came over to WY to my call. Turkeys are smart but I don't think they're aware of which state they're in when they're crossing the border. ;)

RiverRoost

Man this is sounded like a really fun trip. Definitely going to try to put it in the works for next year. Is it camp sites set up all throughout or best to just get hotels somewhere close to the state lines?

Gooserbat

We're leaving for SD and WY next week
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RiverRoost

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 04, 2020, 11:57:16 PM

Are y'all camping or hotels?

tbowers

Im heading to the Black Hills this Saturday. Most campgrounds in the Black Hills are still closed but I'll be doing the dispersed camping via tent or my truck whereever i find birds. Should be fun!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RiverRoost

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 05, 2020, 03:42:10 PM
Quote from: RiverRoost on May 05, 2020, 08:31:43 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on May 04, 2020, 11:57:16 PM

Are y'all camping or hotels?

We're staying in Alabama

Nice! Everybody needs a little morning commute to enjoy their coffee on and wake up