turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Montana Success (more pic's added)

Started by pullit, May 15, 2011, 02:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullit

Myself and a buddy of mine headed out to Big Sky Country last Tuesday to chase Merriam's around. It was pouring rain when we landed in Billings. We called the rancher and he told us we had better rent a 4 wheel drive to be able to get to the ranch as they were having flooding from so much rain.
After about a 3 hour drive and some great scenery we made it to the ranch. It stopped raining the next morning about 2 AM. We headed out and my buddy went one way with the rancher and I went the other way with his daughter.We both had gobblers fired up in no time. After a short time it was apparent that the birds we were working would not come on in. We had run out of cover and could not move any closer. About 8:30 I had two jakes come in to about 80 yards and then drift off. A short time later I had a long bread come in silent behind us at about 80-100 yards. I am not sure where the hen came from but she picked him up and stopped him from coming on in. Something spooked her and she ran off but the gobbler stayed. I called to him and he put on a strutting show for us for about 5 min's, then he just walked off. We could not get on another bird the rest of the day. End day one.

Second day we went back to the same spot and only had one gobbler fire up. He was the same one that gobbled all day the day before but never would move an inch from where he was. He did the same trick on day 2. We hunted there til about 9 o'clock. We moved to a different ranch and could not get anything going there. We had 6 long beards setting on a log across the river from us but with the water so high from all the rain we could not get to them. The water was still raising so we needed to get out of the bottom land we were in. We decided to head back to the first spot and try going the other direction that afternoon. As we were driving in, we spotted two birds in the bottom by the river. We drove on down, and jumped out of the truck. We slipped in and made a quick set up and started calling. Once again a hen would screw us up. She pulled the birds deeper into the bottom so we had to move. This time things worked out a little better for us and the birds came out at about 80 yards from us. They started away from us but saw something and turned and started back toward us. My buddy and I were set up behind a bush and I told him to take the one on the right and I would take the one on the left. He shot before I was ready and mine took off running to my right. I could not shoot until it cleared the bush but that would also mean I would have to shoot across my buddy (which I did not want to do) As the turkey kept running my buddy laid down and I leaned over him to make the shot. As the bird cleared the bush he slowed down a little and I was able to roll him at about 30 yards. 2 shots and 2 turkeys, it was a fast paced few seconds and it worked out great. May not have been text book but it was a fun hunt. (I'm on the left and my buddy Bobby is on the right)

Here is where we stayed (just kidding)

Our transportation

Just some great scenery we had and some other critters we saw

That black spot was a wolf. When I showed the rancher that one he got real excited!

A few mule deer and speed goat pictures.

Here we are heading out for an afternoon hunt.

WiLL B

Congrats!! Good story too!

Roost Wrecker

Sounded like a good hunt and congrats on the kill  :z-guntootsmiley:

Hognutz

Congrats on the birds.. Adapt and kill.. Way to go..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

HoleInTheWall Longbeard

Congrats on those two birds   :you_rock:

I love chasing those  Montana Merriams when I lived in Three Forks.

catdaddy

Getem anyway you can mate!!  WTG!!

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

Devastator

congrats,were you any where near ekalaka in the s.e. corner of montana?

hobbes

pullit

Quote from: timb on May 15, 2011, 07:15:40 PM
congrats,were you any where near ekalaka in the s.e. corner of montana?

The closest town to us was Broadus, then Miles City.

pullit

spitndrum

Reloader

Sweet John, Congrats.

I guess after a Florida trip you'll have 4 species under your belt?

mmusso

Basser69