OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killed a Nice 4th Season Iowa Bird or as some would say (Gobbler) ????

Started by 1iagobblergetter, April 30, 2020, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

First day out was gusty winds and cold and no gobbling so we only hunted a couple hours and pulled the plug on it.
Today was a whole different day with nice weather and decent gobbling in the morning. I called a nice one into about 50yds,but he wouldn't budge past that. We ended up moving after about a hour and set up on a spot in the direction he went. After cold calling for about a hour he(anyway I think it was the same one) came out of the woods silent at 40yds and didn't live to gobble about it. Not the most exciting hunt ive had by a long shot,but ended up weighing 27.25lbs...1.25inch spurs,and a 11 inch beard...
My son still has a tag,but I had to come back home to get payroll done and some other unfinished work.
We're going to head back tomorrow late morning/afternoon and work on filling his last tag and that might be it for this spring. Goodluck & Be safe...

Dr Juice

Wow. Congrats. Is that correct? 27+ lbs? That's huge!

I never seen a gobbler that large. In southern NY, i would be lucky to score a gobbler tipping the scales at 20-lbs.

Anyway, congrats again and pls share some pics when you get a chance.

Chris O

guesswho

Nice, that's a good one all the way around.   We call Turkey Gobblers like that toads, but that's probably on the pc list of disrespectful terms.   Congrats on a really nice Wild Turkey Gobbler!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

27 pounds? Wow!! That's a fat Butterball!! (since we're on a roll with the disrespectful names) :D

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Dr Juice on May 01, 2020, 05:53:46 AM

I never seen a gobbler that large. In southern NY, i would be lucky to score a gobbler tipping the scales at 20-lbs.

Yeah. It's correct. I've had several over the years that I never weighed that would have been bigger. My first one I ever killed I swear would have been pushing 30lbs...
Other than the occasional harsh winters they have all the good viddles they need..

Dr Juice

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 01, 2020, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Dr Juice on May 01, 2020, 05:53:46 AM

Yeah. It's correct. I've had several over the years that I never weighed that would have been bigger. My first one I ever killed I swear would have been pushing 30lbs...
Other than the occasional harsh winters they have all the good viddles they need..
Simply awesome!

timberjack86

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

ElkTurkMan

oakraidia

Turkeytider

Good Lord !! Down here in Georgia, 21, 22 lb. turkey is a real nice bird. Start pushing 25lbs, you`re in truly exceptional range.

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr