North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is Turkey Hunting A One Man Sport?

Started by Nimrodmar10, May 15, 2011, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your normal turkey hunting situation as far as number of hunters.

Always turkey hunt by myself.
Most times turkey hunt by myself.
Sometimes turkey hunt with another hunter.
Always turkey hunt with another hunter.

DeWayne Knight

I hunt by myself the majority of the time.  I do have a couple friends I enjoy hunting with, and one of them we usually try to film when we hunt together.  Cost me a really nice bird last year... >:( I was waiting for the "GO" sginal from the cameraman and didn't get it until the bird was behind a tree walking away from me...oh well.  I enjoy solo or partner hunts.  It's all about being in the woods and all that you get experience.

chipper

I learned to hunt turkeys with my buddy chris and we learned to hunt them by ourselves because no one we knew would show us, only give us advice 20 years ago. We've hunted together splitting birds every spring except 2 years in 22 years of turkey hunting, 9 years ago he destroyed his knee at work 1 week before turkey season and we set up a ground blind in a cow pasture and he havested a bird and he's been really sick this year and hunted opening morning with his brother and killed one and this morning he hunted with me and killed a jake, I truly missed being in the woods with him this year.Get well Chris, I look forward to next spring.

TRKYHTR

I enjoy sharing the woods with friends and family and would prefer hunting with someone. I also enjoy hunting alone every now and then.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

harvester

I like to hunt with somebody but 90% of the time I hunt byself. It's a blast when you have somebody to go with and enjoys being out there. Especially when they kinda hunt the same way I do.

hobbes

I'm good either way!  I used to hunt my tags alone, but that has ended for the most part because my kids now hunt with me.  When I go home to visit and hunt, I have several buddies and family that I enjoy getting out with also.  I do like to hunt on my own though, and I may get to hunt alone next weekend some.

hoyt

It is for me, but so is all my other hunting.

Spellnj3

99% of the time I hunt with my Dad, the other 1% was with my son this year!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Spring Creek Calls

I love to call for other hunters, but when the gun's in my hands, I want to be alone!

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

FireDoc

Most of the time I am solo. Been trying to introduce some new folks to the sport this year, and it has been "interesting" at times!  ;D
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

turkey_slayer

Quote from: harvester on May 15, 2011, 06:45:53 PM
I like to hunt with somebody but 90% of the time I hunt byself. It's a blast when you have somebody to go with and enjoys being out there. Especially when they kinda hunt the same way I do.

Thats the thing I find is hard to find.  Most of my buddies are like my brothers but:

1. dont walk through the woods like a bull in a china shop

2.  if you have to sneeze or cough muffle it with your arm or coat. If you want to talk whisper.  Went its breaking day sit perfectly still

3.  the big one, have patience!  Quit asking me every 5 minutes is he coming and after 10 minutes dont tell me he aint coming and we need to move lol

4.  pet peeve #1. Please dont oversleep or be late.

Turkey hunting is a way of life for me but to them its just a something to do till deer season gets here.  I deer hunt to pass the time till turkey season!

mikejd

I think more than one guy is a great advantage as long as its the rite guy or guys. I hunt with me my brother and my dad and I don't think there's to many birds that can beat us when we team up. Like I said it has to b the rite guys. We no what another are thinking or gonna do with out even talking like re positioning multiple calling locations to get a Hung up bird in front of one of the callers or shooters...don't get me wrong most of the time were solo walking and calling but when there's one that has you out fixed we will work as a 2 or 3 man team. We like 2 callers
1 shooter and we can get some birds pretty worked up .

drenalinld

I hunt at least 90% of the time with someone. I prefer to enjoy it with someone most of the time and the successes are more enjoyable for me when enjoyed and the slow hunts are definitely more fun with one of my brothers a good friend. That being said, if I need to kill a turkey, I go alone. My success rate on my own is much higher, but that does not equate to more enjoyable for me.

mmusso

I hunt a good bit on my own, but I also really enjoy hunting with someone. It helps to pass the time on a slow, uneventful hunt and I find it helpful to compare ideas/strategy/game plans for setting up, where did that gobble come from, etc...

TauntoHawk

my favorite part of turkey hunting is that i believe it is best done with 2 people. I almost always hunt with a partner, whether its with a buddy or taking my wife, father, or youth hunter.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

trkehunr93

I agree, solo hunting is best for gobblers.  I can move alot faster on my own and I don't have to discuss a set up change with someone if I need to move.  One person easing thru the woods is alot quieter than  two people easing thru the woods.  Don't get me wrong I love to hunt with friends but the chess game between you and a gobbler is what drives me!