North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is Turkey Hunting A One Man Sport?

Started by Nimrodmar10, May 15, 2011, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your normal turkey hunting situation as far as number of hunters.

Always turkey hunt by myself.
Most times turkey hunt by myself.
Sometimes turkey hunt with another hunter.
Always turkey hunt with another hunter.

Nimrodmar10

I enjoy the camaraderie of a hunting camp as well as the next guy, but when I go after a turkey, especially a tough one,  I think it's best done by a lone hunter. I know a lot of us are lucky enough to hunt with our kids when they're young and that's not what I'm talking about.  I'd like to see how many of you think of it like I do. Kind of a Mano-E-Turkeyo if you will.
The options don't mean that's the way you hunt 100% of the time but the majority of the time. When you hunt alone is it by choice or just because you don't have anyone to hunt with or because you can't bring anyone with you where you hunt. Do you think hunting by yourself is an advantage or a disadvantage?

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

R AJ

Now that there are more turkeys than ever it is a great two man deal whereby you and a bud can enjoy the same experience and take turns being the caller and shooter or put one out 50 yards in front of the bird that gets "hung up". He's just doing what mother nature says do.
The opportunity always is available for both to score when multiple birds come in as well.
It is a dangerous sport and discipline and positive target ID is a must for me if two hunters go together . For those stand sitters I guess it could be a family event for viewing wildlife . This sport has changed greatly since the 60s when you were excited that you found a track and heard more than one bird gobble from the same location.

Beretta686

80% of the time or more I hunt by myself. Rest of the time I like to hunt with friends

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Divenut2

In general, I typically hunt alone. I will head out with a friend/cousin, but we split up and hunt different areas. Usually a few miles from one another.  I like the solitude which I find very therapeutic & revitalizing after weeks/months doing the daily grind. That said, my 10 year old twin daughters want to begin hunting, and have been practicing their turkey calling techniques. So I am considering having them join me as the deisignated callers next season. I think turkey hunting will be a great way to ease them into hunting in general.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

redarrow

Quote from:  link=topic=9835.msg114068#msg114068 date=1305475782
I prefer to go at it solo.  But I hunt often with family members and close friends.
I generally prefer to hunt anything by myself,but I sure do enjoy the camp atmosphere hanging out with family and friends.

njdevilsb

I have never hunted turkey by myself.  Every time I have gone, it has been with my dad or uncle, or both.

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

guesswho

When I have tags I go solo most of the time.   After that I'm along for the ride.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

sugarray

It would be nice to share some woods time with a friend.  I get to more with my boy, now that he has taken one, but he is not beating down the door to go though.  It is tough to always be by yourself, but that is how I roll 95% of the time.

GobbleNut

I do a lot of both most seasons.

If you have a partner that you have confidence in, the two-man team can definitely give you more options on how to work a gobbler, and can be a killer combination.  ...You get the wrong hunting partner with you though, your chances can go downhill like a runaway toboggan.

If I am not sure which kind of hunting partner I will be getting, I will take my chances by myself every time.

OLE RASPY

other than youth hunt or out of state im by myself.Thats the way i like it its harder to hide people than myself  ;)

turkey_slayer

Quote from:  link=topic=9835.msg114068#msg114068 date=1305475782
I prefer to go at it solo.  But I hunt often with family members and close friends.

Same here

NYbassman

I am curious about something. I have never noticed a difference in success rates when hunting alone vs. with another experienced hunter. What is it that causes fewer successful hunts when you are with another person in your opinion? I personally enjoy having a partner along.

CASH

I hunt with T-town 90% of the time.  Solo the rest
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.