turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me know to do the right thing.

Started by NEKVT, April 30, 2020, 07:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEKVT

A guy up the road from me owned a cornfield for years, he also acted like e owned other fields around putting up fake posted signs on other people land and claiming he had leased that land when he did not.
He also showed up on an ATV first day last year and scared off birds for me in a field near my place. Long story short, a couple years ago he sold the field he did own, but still acts like he owns it. This AM I was watch birds out there and he shows up on ATV and we were just talking and what not untill hunting that spot came up. He always hunts there, any way i have written land owner permission to hunt there and have a blind set up for the AM tomorrow (opening day). he said he didnt want me in there, i said there is more than one bird and room for two I also said i had written permission. He claims he has a deed saying he has hunting rights from when he sold it and will show me the deed. I said ok. he then got real mad started his ATV and sped off. Should I hunt there in the AM as planned even though he wil probably do something to mes sit up. or should i go else where. If i stay away does that support him bullying people? He has actually assulted someone before during deer season when he did own that land. He is not really a nice guy. I  have tried to be friendly in the past.  Should i just go elsewhere? The only reason i like the spot is cause it has lots of birds and is a great setup.
What should i do?

Thanks

turkeymanjim

I wouldn't hunt there. Hunting is to me an enjoyable time, I don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time figuring someone is watching me. Sounds like the guy isn't a nice person and is looking for an altercation. To me there is no gobbler worth that aggravation.
(That is my opinion)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bigriverbum

I would go but be prepared to leave if any confrontation starts. Maybe you figure this is inevitable.

I would then contact my local warden about hunter harassment

Turkeytider

Did the guy ever show you the deed he claims to have? What does the actual land owner say? Probably, from the sounds of it, an actual resolution might well finally involve law enforcement. Only you can decide how far you want to take it.

joey46

If you can afford it get attorneys and writs involved.  I usually take things like this to their limits.  I promised myself at about age 12 to never ever back down from a bully again.  Not always the smart move sometimes.  Ouch.  Push your game wardens on this.  They may want to keep the peace but probably have too many cases where when all is said and done nobody is willing to prosecute.  Either go all in or punt.  Of course if he does have exclusive hunting rights you're toast.  "Exclusive" the key word here.  Good luck.

RutnNStrutn

I wouldn't hunt there. Most likely he will show up on his ATV, or to hunt. Either way your hunt will be ruined.
Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't done something about this previously. I would have called the game warden or local law enforcement to deal with his antics. He is trespassing, hunting illegally, and in some states that is consider armed trespass, which is a felony.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

FL-Boss

GobbleNut

Tough situation, for sure.  You never know what people like that are capable of. 
If it were me, I would just go have a talk with the new landowner and find out exactly what his arrangement is with this guy.  He should be able to clarify things for you. It sounds like the new owner probably told the guy that he could hunt there after the land sale.  If that is the case, then you might end up being the odd man out if it comes down to the landowner having to decide the issue.

Regardless, I doubt seriously that there is anything written in the sales agreement with the new landowner that would state that the old landowner would have any rights to hunt the property in perpetuity.  That would be highly unusual, I think.

zelmo1

2 choices, give up on the spot all together and move on. Or, show up to the spot first. get set up and if he harasses you in any way, report him for interfering with a legal hunt, which is a crime, not a violation. Push it if you go this route. I hate bullies and dealt with a similar situation young guys last year. My wife got flustered and we left. I let them know it would be different at our next meeting as I would have my one of my buddies with me next time. We were there first and already set up when they were rolling out of bed. I guess I am more eloquent than I thought, cuz I didn't see them the rest of the season.  :funnyturkey:

High plains drifter

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 30, 2020, 08:18:03 AM
I wouldn't hunt there. Most likely he will show up on his ATV, or to hunt. Either way your hunt will be ruined.
Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't done something about this previously. I would have called the game warden or local law enforcement to deal with his antics. He is trespassing, hunting illegally, and in some states that is consider armed trespass, which is a felony.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.I would bag it.Find another place.

suburbhunter

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 30, 2020, 09:09:46 AM
Tough situation, for sure.  You never know what people like that are capable of. 
If it were me, I would just go have a talk with the new landowner and find out exactly what his arrangement is with this guy.  He should be able to clarify things for you. It sounds like the new owner probably told the guy that he could hunt there after the land sale.  If that is the case, then you might end up being the odd man out if it comes down to the landowner having to decide the issue.

Regardless, I doubt seriously that there is anything written in the sales agreement with the new landowner that would state that the old landowner would have any rights to hunt the property in perpetuity.  That would be highly unusual, I think.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^. Tell the bully to pound sand and keep after the game warden. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Jstocks

He don't have a deed I'd be willing to bet. Get there first and stand up to him. Id let him know before opening day and I'd be firm about it. Then there's no excuses come opening day if he still comes and messes you up.

Now, if you aren't prepared to standup to him and plan on just relinquishing your rights if he still shows up and confronts you, then you need to just move on.

For me, I just ain't gonna tolerate that type of nonsense. If he ruined my hunt, then I'd ensure no one had a decent hunt. I'd make it worth his while to find somewhere else to go.

Greg Massey

I agree stand your ground and hunt, don't let him bully you. It's time he realizes he doesn't own that property or those turkeys. No need for a fight at all. Just hunt.

bigriverbum

Is this going to be on "North Woods Law"?     ;)

deadbuck

Can you not go to the county courthouse and check the deed book to see a copy of the deed? This is free Public information in Mississippi