turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WTB Trumpet Call

Started by Firemt04, April 29, 2020, 05:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firemt04

Looking to purchase my first trumpet call. Looking for something easy to learn on and that doesn't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

Get the best you can afford if it doesn't work out you sell it
Practice.  practice.  practice
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

davisd9

Billy Buice 6" with a #4. His wait is about 6 months but you will pay 25%+ for it is the secondary market. Depends how long you are willing to wait and how big you want the learning curve.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wchadw

Quote from: davisd9 on April 29, 2020, 05:50:56 PM
Billy Buice 6" with a #4. His wait is about 6 months but you will pay 25%+ for it is the secondary market. Depends how long you are willing to wait and how big you want the learning curve.
i second this.  billy makes excellent trumpets.  he used to keep a few osage on hand.  you will pay a little more for it but it runs easy and if you ever want to sell it, someone on here will buy it up in a few minutes.

paboxcall

If you don't want to wait for Billy, then ring Ralph Permar and get a model 45 in delrin. Won't hit your wallet as hard, you'll have it sooner, and just as easy of a call to learn on. Plus like Buice you'll get your money out of it as well if a trumpet isn't for you.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: paboxcall on April 29, 2020, 06:25:30 PM
If you don't want to wait for Billy, then ring Ralph Permar and get a model 45 in delrin. Won't hit your wallet as hard, you'll have it sooner, and just as easy of a call to learn on. Plus like Buice you'll get your money out of it as well if a trumpet isn't for you.
Do you happen to have his contact info?

I just got into trumpets last year and basically started on wing bones and it's fairly easy to transition over. They are pretty affordable too. Mark Sharpe and Tony Ezolt make some goodens!
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Firemt04

I have looked at Permer's calls and they look really nice. I also have looked at some of Billy's calls. I'm gonna be honest, I am not a very patient person. Lol. I want one to start playing with now and once I have one I will be more apt to wait on one to be made.

paboxcall

Quote from: Firemt04 on April 29, 2020, 07:09:35 PM
I have looked at Permer's calls and they look really nice. I also have looked at some of Billy's calls. I'm gonna be honest, I am not a very patient person. Lol. I want one to start playing with now and once I have one I will be more apt to wait on one to be made.

Let me give you a little advice I got years ago. Learn to play just one before you start collecting. Once you master air flow using just one call, then branch out. Sticking with one quality call in the beginning should flatten the learning curve.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on April 29, 2020, 07:14:02 PM
Quote from: Firemt04 on April 29, 2020, 07:09:35 PM

Let me give you a little advice I got years ago. Learn to play just one before you start collecting. Once you master air flow using just one call, then branch out. Sticking with one quality call in the beginning should flatten the learning curve.
I have to agree, I made this mistake and I think I held myself back by doing it, now that I am pretty much just using the one trumpet I seem to be getting much better and called in 4 turkey a few weeks ago and I was just sitting there practicing on the side of the road.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

Trumpets are not like other calls. They can be very personal in preference and are not something you can pick up a few times a year and maintain a high level of skill. Most people can play a pot call a month before and through the season and see no drop off. A trumpet is a call you have to stay on all year because of the small muscle memories and air control needed to run one well. Good calls go a long way. There are lots of trumpets out there and a person that has the mechanics can pick one up and run them all, but some are work to use and some are fun. I can only speak of the ones I have tried but there are numerous threads here talking about trumpets and I highly recommend you researching through those threads.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Firemt04

Quote from: davisd9 on April 29, 2020, 07:32:47 PM
Trumpets are not like other calls. They can be very personal in preference and are not something you can pick up a few times a year and maintain a high level of skill. Most people can play a pot call a month before and through the season and see no drop off. A trumpet is a call you have to stay on all year because of the small muscle memories and air control needed to run one well. Good calls go a long way. There are lots of trumpets out there and a person that has the mechanics can pick one up and run them all, but some are work to use and some are fun. I can only speak of the ones I have tried but there are numerous threads here talking about trumpets and I highly recommend you researching through those threads.
I have started doing some research, and there are a lot out there. I guess I am more looking for recommendations and seeing what is all available. I completely understand the need to constantly practice, I do that already with my mouth calls. I appreciate the advice for sure though.

crow

Brian Mero makes a very easy running great sounding trumpet, very good trumpet to learn on.

this is another trumpet that would probably sell in a day on here during turkey season if you end up wanting to resell it, he is on this forum and may have one available

Terry

For a beginner I always recommend a Brian Mero based on price, ease of play, and availability. Permar wouldn't be a bad choice and obviously Buice if you can find one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Gregg right here on OG makes a easy running one that sounds good. Wont break the bank and you will get it quick. I have several trumpets from a bunch of makers and I will second Ralphs for sure. Really easy to draw on and flat kills turkeys. Now , when you get hooked , Mr Billy should be your next purchase along with several different mouthpieces. If you are a trumpet guy , one of his is a must have.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE