turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard xr or tss #7.5 Indiana 7.5 is smallest allowed

Started by Bobby5, April 29, 2020, 01:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

Im using longbeard xr #5 2 1/8oz as of right now and was wondering if there is really that much of a advantage switching over to tss #7? I live in Indiana so #7.5 is smallest we can go. Is there any good shells that are tss #7.5 shot?

bbcoach

IMO, no!  Longbeard XR 5 or 6's, with the right choke, will kill a bird just as well as TSS at respectable distances.  And you can keep $8 per shell in your pocket.  If you were shooting a 20 gauge, I would say different but with a 12 gauge 2 oz load, keep your money in your wallet and go kill a bird with the XR's.  Good Luck in Indy!

Bobby5

ok thanks alot thats what i was thinking. appreciate the response

Turkeytider

Quote from: bbcoach on April 29, 2020, 03:16:12 PM
IMO, no!  Longbeard XR 5 or 6's, with the right choke, will kill a bird just as well as TSS at respectable distances.  And you can keep $8 per shell in your pocket.  If you were shooting a 20 gauge, I would say different but with a 12 gauge 2 oz load, keep your money in your wallet and go kill a bird with the XR's.  Good Luck in Indy!

Concur completely. While TSS has revolutionized sub-gauges for turkey, no need IMHO in 12s.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

crow

Quote from: Turkeytider on April 29, 2020, 05:54:15 PM

Concur completely. While TSS has revolutionized sub-gauges for turkey, no need IMHO in 12s.

Well shooting a light recoiling 2 3/4 inch 1 5/8ths oz. load of TSS that will out pattern a 3.5" lead load in someone's favorite 12gauge or only gun would be a couple of reasons to shoot it in a 12 Ga.

BandedSpur

Quote from: crow on April 29, 2020, 08:28:35 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on April 29, 2020, 05:54:15 PM

Well shooting a light recoiling 2 3/4 inch 1 5/8ths oz. load of TSS that will out pattern a 3.5" lead load in someone's favorite 12gauge or only gun would be a couple of reasons to shoot it in a 12 Ga.

That's exactly what I shoot in my 6 pound O/U. It has 2.75" chambers so won't shoot LBs. Recoil is much less and there is no comparison in the patterns. TSS blows the doors off LBs, and I don't have to worry about Winch screwing up the shells.

Bobby5

the only reason i was thinking of switching is if a bird is 20 yards are closer those longbeards are tight. like real tight. at 20 yards is like a baseball.  I was just wondering if #7's would help at close range.

bbcoach

Quote from: Bobby5 on April 30, 2020, 03:23:53 PM
the only reason i was thinking of switching is if a bird is 20 yards are closer those longbeards are tight. like real tight. at 20 yards is like a baseball.  I was just wondering if #7's would help at close range.
Everything is tight, unless you go to a more open choke.  Try shooting dove loads at 15 yards, same result.  Understand one thing, shoot your turkey slayer like a rifle and you won't have a problem.