Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Keeping gun from rusting after hunting in the rain?

Started by Bobby5, April 28, 2020, 11:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

how do you guys keep your gun rust free after hunting in the rain all day? My gun is factory dipped camo. Just wanting to see what you guys do to keep it performing and looking like new and if theres anything you do to it to protect it if you know its gonna be in the rain all day. Thanks

lowoctane

:morning:
WD40 is friendly with most gun finishes, but I would do a small trial area first. It stands for:
Water Displacement, 40th version. And you can buy small cans to pack in with you... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

2eagles

I'm a duck hunter so my gun never gets wet, but if it did.... I'd bring it home and break it all the way down. Then dry all pieces with a rag. I'd try not to get any petroleum based product on the finish and lightly oil internal surfaces. I'd leave my gun out to dry completely until the next day and assemble.

eddie234

I'd break it down wipe it in side and out with an oily rag and let it dry out for a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lmbunch69

Same as above. Break it down, dry it off and lightly oil it. Also, don't put the gun into a case.

TrophyTracker

I use an air compressor with a blow gun attachment  to blast of any water, then treat all the metal parts with Clenzoil, an American made CLP. My guns are good to go after that. Future rain beads up and runs right off after a treatment with it.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

2eagles

Quote from: TrophyTracker on April 28, 2020, 03:41:13 PM
I use an air compressor with a blow gun attachment  to blast of any water, then treat all the metal parts with Clenzoil, an American made CLP. My guns are good to go after that. Future rain beads up and runs right off after a treatment with it.
I don't have an air compressor in the house so I use a spray can of air designed to blow the dust out electronics and computers.

Longshanks

Clean it every time after use and put some quality oil on all metal parts. Clean after the rain just as you would every time you bring it out of the woods. Rust will not form.

Sir-diealot

Dry it off with a clean rag and then use a silicone cloth on it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

DaMitch

All good advise given.  I have had good luck with Barracade spray.  Wipe on gun and let it dry.  Wipe again after gun getting wet (disassembled) and coat again.  No rust for a number of years.

paboxcall

If I'm traveling I wipe it down with a dry cloth, and then try to place the gun with action open in an area with good air flow. I do keep a drop of oil on the choke threads - I will back it out, dry the threads on the tube and barrel, add a drop of oil and reinstall. Once home I will break it down and clean properly.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Bobby5

What if it has optics ?  Is breaking down necessary until end of season ? Figured the scope would be zeroed in if you broke it all apart ?

ahfox16

Take apart.  Wife's hair dryer when she isn't looking.  Then Ballistol spray.  That Spray won't harm wood either.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Bobby5 on May 02, 2020, 06:25:41 PM
What if it has optics ?  Is breaking down necessary until end of season ? Figured the scope would be zeroed in if you broke it all apart ?

No

Some folks clean a gun like it's a baby daughter... I clean mine before spring, then if I get it wet I just dry it off and sit it where there is good airflow. I clean again after turkey season.

LaLongbeard

If it's factory dipped then the inside of barrel and inside of receiver is the only thing that could rust. Not rocket science run a rag with some oil down the barrel, take the trigger assembly out and wipe the inside of receiver and anything metal, put it back together.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?