OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

7 yr old shot while turkey hunting

Started by nativeks, April 27, 2020, 11:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: Tomfoolery on April 28, 2020, 09:41:08 AM
So sad and no excuse for it. Also pisses me off that on the headline of the article they have a picture of a scary black "assault" pistol.

Yeah,...I notice that as well.  Some folks just can't simply report a story without trying to make a political statement. 

Tomfoolery

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 28, 2020, 09:56:06 AM
So sad and no excuse for it. Also pisses me off that on the headline of the article they have a picture of a scary black "assault" pistol.

Yeah,...I notice that as well.  Some folks just can't simply report a story without trying to make a political statement.
Gotta fit the narrative

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Prayers for the young boy , agree no excuse for this happening at all..

Timmer

x3

10+ years back here in MN we had a guy shoot and kill his own 7 year old son that he "thought was a turkey."  It turns out he was trespassing, and had drugs and alcohol in his system. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

silvestris

Maybe it is a reason to ban all decoys including fans and for parents to not include young kids in a big boys sport.  Squirrels and rabbits were created for a reason.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mtns2hunt

Quote from: silvestris on April 28, 2020, 07:17:51 PM
Maybe it is a reason to ban all decoys including fans and for parents to not include young kids in a big boys sport.  Squirrels and rabbits were created for a reason.

That's a tough call. Statisically hunting is safe. I would prefer that the perp pay a higher penalty then is customary. I know many parents get a great thrill teaching their children to hunt and hopefully the right way. In fact I beleive there is less violence hunting then on the baseball field (other than pulling the trigger).
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

fallhnt

Just ban idiots

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

kyturkeyhunter4

Praying for the young mans full recovery this is why you shouldn't use decoys on public land.

Tom007

If the story is true as told, ban that hunter for life. May set a precedent for others to pay attention to the 10 commandments of shooting, "know your target and beyond".
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

I do not think it is a "Big boys sport" and it is not the fault of the children in these incidents. I take a lot of my friends kids to Hunters Safety Classes and the statistics prove it is the adults above 50 that tend to do most of the shootings if I remember correctly. I am awaiting a reply from a Hunters Safety Instructor to clarify that, I am sure it was that age or above though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

fallhnt

There have been 7 turkey hunting related shootings so far this season.  1 fatal. Years ago a guy stopped on the road and shot a buddy's decoy. He was yelling the whole time at the guy and he still pulled the trigger.  This was on a hen decoy,the only one he had set up. When the shooting was over and the conversation started the shooter says "It's turkey season". 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

strum

I had a guy stalk my hen decoy a few years ago . Had I not stopped him he would have shot it. he said " I didnt think i could sneak upon a turkey"   Sorry to hear about this young man. I cant wrap my mind around how anyone would make this error.

eggshell

QuoteI cant wrap my mind around how anyone would make this error.

It's even harder to wrap your head around it when your laying in a E.R. and in a helicopter bleeding to death. I truly hope none of you ever experience it, it will never leave your mind. You'll relive it 10,000 times.

I hope the perpetrator gets a serious sentence and has to financially compensate the family. It doesn't always work that way though. It cost me over $20,000.00 in medical bills insurance never paid. I fought with them for a year over bills and it took almost two years to completely heal physically. Emotionally I have never totally gotten over it in 10 years.

eggshell

QuoteI cant wrap my mind around how anyone would make this error.

It's even harder to wrap your head around it when your laying in a E.R. and in a helicopter bleeding to death. I truly hope none of you ever experience it, it will never leave your mind. You'll relive it 10,000 times.

I hope the perpetrator gets a serious sentence and has to financially compensate the family. It doesn't always work that way though. It cost me over $20,000.00 in medical bills insurance never paid. I fought with them for a year over bills and it took almost two years to completely heal physically. Emotionally I have never totally gotten over it in 10 years. NO DAMN TURKEY IS WORTH RUINING SOMEONES LIFE OVER

This picture is about two weeks after I got home from the Hospital

camotoe

Was your perp charged ? I hope so . Glad you recovered and I hope the boy shot will .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk