only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

7 yr old shot while turkey hunting

Started by nativeks, April 27, 2020, 11:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 28, 2020, 07:55:45 PM
Quote from: silvestris on April 28, 2020, 07:17:51 PM
Maybe it is a reason to ban all decoys including fans and for parents to not include young kids in a big boys sport.  Squirrels and rabbits were created for a reason.
I do not think it is a "Big boys sport" and it is not the fault of the children in these incidents. I take a lot of my friends kids to Hunters Safety Classes and the statistics prove it is the adults above 50 that tend to do most of the shootings if I remember correctly. I am awaiting a reply from a Hunters Safety Instructor to clarify that, I am sure it was that age or above though.

I did get a reply back, I was very surprised by the results, I wonder what changed it so much?

"Here you go Steven....ready....?Per the International Hunter Ed Association....average 1000 per year in US and Canada....fewer tha[n] 75 are Fatal.... 12%-15% of all Firearm related Fatalities or 1 in 4888. 20 Times more people die due to drowning. From 1993-2008 35,975 Firearm/Hunting or about 2400/year......91.8% were [Caucasian] age 24-44, and were Male....Is this what you were looking for....? I like doing research.....LOL"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: camotoe on April 29, 2020, 06:52:28 AM
Was your perp charged ? I hope so . Glad you recovered and I hope the boy shot will .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2. It would be hard to get back out again after that. My head would be doing as close to a 360 as physically possible whether I wanted to or not after that.
I do agree guys that mistake a human for a turkey or just shoot at turkey sound should never hunt again.

eggshell

QuoteWas your perp charged ? I hope so . Glad you recovered and I hope the boy shot will .
No he wasn't. It's a sticky situation as the authorities originally blew it off as simply an accident (local police) and then they didn't get his name and he was gone. The hospital just called the city cops not the Game warden. It was a cluster muck, that I paid for.

1iagobblergetter,

If I even hear a call close to me anymore I get so nervous I just leave the area. It has ruined some hunts for me. I just can't stand to be around other turkey hunters. I hunt mostly private property that is highly restricted for access.

Tomfoolery

Just this season around here somewhere, don't know the details, but a turkey hunter was shot by another "hunter" at 7 yards with a crossbow. I just don't see how that could happen.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Delmar ODonnell

Here's one my mother sent me on Facebook. The audacity of some people... I try to be pragmatic but I believe I'd see red if someone accidentally shot me then showed no remorse.

eggshell

Thanks for sharing Delmar, it can't be overstated how much we need to focus on safety. I can tell you reading that story and seeing that picture shook me up, I wish I could just give the guy a man hug and sit down with  him and assure him it'll be alright. He will relive that day every time he hears a story about an accident, but he will also have a testimony to share that may save a life. It literally brings tears to my eyes and I get the shakes from stories like this, but as he said God was and is with me and I have had a deeper appreciation for all the blessings I have had since. I'd also tell him to be prepared for the a holes who will make jokes about his incident, yeah there are people who do that sadly enough.

greencop01

You have to identify your target before you press your finger on the trigger. As a game warden I had only three hunting accidents. Two the subjects were never found one I reconstructed the accident and it proved to be just that, an accident. The problem with turkey hunting is you can't legislate HOW you turkey hunt. When you hear a gobble and most of us will head towards the location, make a set-up and call the tom in. But there are some who will try and stalk the tom. The problem is the how do you differentiate between stalking and approaching for a set-up or ambush. You see the problem. You have to show intent to stalk. Ergo no statutes or regs against stalking. I agree when they are apprehended the book should be thrown at them, lock em up. We need to educate and not tolerate this activity among our ranks. When someone does we should exclude them from hunting with us, period. It is the only way they will learn. Unfortunately the only rule for many people that call themselves hunters it's the firstist and who gets the biggest or the mostest. We have to change that mentality. We have to do that and teach respect for the game we hunt. And most of all do not TOLERATE this BEHAVIOR within our ranks. My  :z-twocents: worth.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

silvestris

Just glad the shooter wasn't using TSS.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Kylongspur88

Sad. Hope he makes a full recovery. I had duck decoys shot one while hunting. People are dumb.

sswv

very terrible for the young fellow. prayers full a full recovery.  I personally know three different fellows that have been shot while turkey hunting and in every case the shooter (in his mind) was truly shooting at a turkey. One friend was shot walking down a dirt road about mid day and of all things, he was shot in the face. One was shot in the side and the other in the shoulder, neck and back of his head.  All three still turkey hunt but they are more cautious than we could ever imagine.

fallhnt

Up to 8 now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Swenny

Oh wow, I hope the young man is doing ok!!!!  If anyone has an update on this story and the young guys condition I'd love to hear about it.

I hunt public land and am always so damn nervous walking out with a turkey in my vest and feathers sticking out.  I always put on the blaze orange flag that snaps on the back of the vest and bring a blaze orange ball cap that I wear on the way out, but still . . . .

MDSTRUTNRUT

My 4 year grandson has been turkey hunting 2 times this year.  family member held him behind action while his 14 year old sister was the shooter with another adult with her, no tent, no decoys.  No shots taken and he had a BLAST and can't even imagine someone shooting him.   I'm sure there are alot more details in this case that haven't been released.   There was a turkey hunting accident in my county of MD on youth day this year I believe 2 juveniles were involved not fatal.  I was familiar with several hunting accident investigations one of which a 12 year old son shot his father in the face blinding him in 1 eye.   SAD VERY SAD hopefully the boy in OP will recover fully   EVERYONE  BE CAREFUL!