turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

7 yr old shot while turkey hunting

Started by nativeks, April 27, 2020, 11:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

That really pisses me off!! What kind of idiot, A - shoots a decoy, and B - shoots a kid instead? That idiot should be prosecuted for shooting the kid, and have his hunting privileges banned for life nationwide. 
I once had not 1, but 2 idiots try to sneak up on my hen decoys. I saw them coming, so I whistled to them in a cadence that any sane person would know was a human. They stopped, looked around, then kept coming. They got in position, and started to raise their guns. I whistled again and they stopped again. Then they raised their guns again and took aim. Finally I'd had enough! I yelled at them, "Don't shoot my decoys!!" as I stood up. They quickly turned and beat feet out of there. Morons like that shouldn't have the right to hunt. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

fallhnt

This is my point about,fanning. It's probably safer than hunting in the woods,in a traditional way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Ranger

Quote from: fallhnt on April 27, 2020, 11:46:00 PM
This is my point about,fanning. It's probably safer than hunting in the woods,in a traditional way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DSD Decoy, you can't be serious.  Purposefully crawling behind the target of other hunters is safer than traditional hunting?  You've been drinking some decoy Kool aid
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Magdump

There are some really really stupid people out there! 

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 27, 2020, 11:16:43 PM
That really pisses me off!! What kind of idiot, A - shoots a decoy, and B - shoots a kid instead? That idiot should be prosecuted for shooting the kid, and have his hunting privileges banned for life nationwide. 
I once had not 1, but 2 idiots try to sneak up on my hen decoys. I saw them coming, so I whistled to them in a cadence that any sane person would know was a human. They stopped, looked around, then kept coming. They got in position, and started to raise their guns. I whistled again and they stopped again. Then they raised their guns again and took aim. Finally I'd had enough! I yelled at them, "Don't shoot my decoys!!" as I stood up. They quickly turned and beat feet out of there. Morons like that shouldn't have the right to hunt. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I hunt a National Forest in N.Fla and rarely use decoys for this reason. The stupidity is rampant. I was hunting by a paved road and watched a group of hens as they walked by me onto the hard road and then some goofball took a pot shot at them from the window of his truck as he drove by at 55 mph. He didn't even cut a feather, but I never saw those hens there again. Cured me of using decoys on weekends or holidays and hunting near roads.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sir-diealot

Always identify your target and beyond, it amazes me how often this rule is broken, responsible for about ever incident you see and it is the very first thing they teach you in hunters safety courses. Prayers for the youngster.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wbyman

"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

GobbleNut

Pretty hard to believe that the kid was "standing over the decoy" and the guy shot him.  Surely there is more to this story than that.  I suspect that as the facts come out, the circumstances will prove to be somewhat different than those outlined in this story.  Maybe not,...but again, the story as related just does not add up to me.

Regardless, it just goes to demonstrate that ANY form of turkey hunting where the hunter is either visually or audibly imitating the game being hunted can be dangerous under a given set of circumstances.  However you choose to hunt,...do it defensively and with a mind-set that there are folks out there that are capable of stuff like what happened here. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 28, 2020, 08:48:32 AM
Pretty hard to believe that the kid was "standing over the decoy" and the guy shot him.  Surely there is more to this story than that.  I suspect that as the facts come out, the circumstances will prove to be somewhat different than those outlined in this story.  Maybe not,...but again, the story as related just does not add up to me.

Regardless, it just goes to demonstrate that ANY form of turkey hunting where the hunter is either visually or audibly imitating the game being hunted can be dangerous under a given set of circumstances.  However you choose to hunt,...do it defensively and with a mind-set that there are folks out there that are capable of stuff like what happened here.
I thought that sounded a little wonky myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CALLM2U

This is another reason why I try to get as far away from paths and roads as I can.  While it's possible that yahoos will go deep into the woods, statistically, they are more likely to be closer to the road. 

I remember as a kid my dad finding a Pepsi bottle in the woods.   He sat it up on a log about 30 yards away and the red, white and blue shined like a gobblers head.  He was teaching me the dangers of having those colors in the woods during turkey season, but even though I was only an 8-10 year old kid, I have that vivid memory burned into my brain as it sank in what could have happened if I were carrying that drink and someone mistook it for a gobbler's head. 

captfire

MAN WHAT A AS-HOLE TO SHOOT A DECOY WITH SOME ONE STANDING BY IT HE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL THE BOYS MEDICAL BILLS AND LOSE HIS HUNTING RIGHTS FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS AND BE MADE GO TO A SAFTEY CLASS EVERY YEAR FROM NOW ON IF NOT HE SHOULD LOSE IS HUNTING RIGHTS FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE THATS WHY I DON'T USE A FAN. I HOPE AND PRAY THE BOY COMES OUT ALL RIGHT THATS A FINE WAY TO TRUN A YOUNG MAN AWAY FROM HUNTING THE REST OF HIS LIFE .THATS ALL UN CALLED FOR...

joey46

Hunt mostly central Fl and have two rules.  One is no gobbler decoys on public land.  Two is that we decided to do no fanning anywhere.  Even on the tightly controlled private lands we hunt our cameras pick up the occasional unknown trespasser and FL still allows rifles for turkeys on private land.  Crawling behind a waving fan seems like a kamikaze approach to turkey hunting.  Don't need it.

Tomfoolery

So sad and no excuse for it. Also pisses me off that on the headline of the article they have a picture of a scary black "assault" pistol.