OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got set up over the weekend

Started by Sir-diealot, April 27, 2020, 07:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Got set up over the weekend, unfortunately I am not in the same spot as last year,  same property, different area. There are 3 owners, my landlords 2 oldest and their cousin, the cousin normally does not turkey hunt but because of Covid he is going to come down from I think either Delaware of Philly and hunt. Can't blame a guy for wanting to hunt his own land, just wish I had had more than 1 weeks notice is all, I could have prepped the area some to make it easier for the turkey and deer to get through and for me to get to and into the blind easier as well.

Not nearly as good a setup, set on a straight trail, not enough room to put the blind off the trail, I had started to set up the big blind, felt it would be to big to fit so went back to the truck to get the smaller blind, set the small blind up off to the side of the trail, got it all staked out, sat down in the blind and realized I could not see out the windows the way the land was laid out,(Set in the middle of a saddle) so I pulled the stakes, put the blind in the middle of the row and sat in the chair, still can't see out the windows so I had to take down that blind, go back to the truck, get the big blind that I had already taken back when I went to get the small blind and set that up in the middle of the lane way. Worried the turkey won't like going through thorns to go around the blind, it will be interesting to see how it works out.

I may be able to sit in the field in my 2 man chair blind, but I have to double check with one of the owners first, the cousin will not be there the first 2 days but he likes to hunt where I hunted last year so I do not want to go sit there and have him think I ruined his hunt by being there. If not for the people that own the ajoining land I would have put the big blind in the field, but I am afraid it would be gone when I got there opening day.

At least I got some good exercise, though I wish I had brought some water with me.

These are my 3 blinds and these are the chairs I use in them.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Good luck my friend. I will be out on the NY opener. I wish you success and luck.....
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tom007 on April 27, 2020, 08:44:31 PM
Good luck my friend. I will be out on the NY opener. I wish you success and luck.....
Thank you Tom, good luck to you as well. Looks like it will be a wet one. I will tell you I love the size of my big blind but I would never suggest it to anyway, breaks down to quickly and leaked badly from day one. I miss my old Ameristep Roundhouse blind, best blind I have ever used and I have used a lot of them, mostly deer hunting until after my car accident. The Ameristep Penthouse was nice and big but had very poor window placement. Stay dry and good luck.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Chris O

Hope you have success again this year!!! It always seems like Some one always has a relative that wants to hunt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

The joys of leasing land. Still better than having a bunch of idiots ruining a public land hunt. I've experienced the same thing. Landowners hunting, or keeping the turkey rights to themselves, or selling the land unexpectedly, and even having the property logged.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SteelCityArcher

Sometimes things can get frustrating for sure. Just remember to have fun out there!

Best of luck this season!
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

Harty

Best of luck out there. Enjoy the great outdoors. Sometimes things have a way of still working out!

Muzzy61

Good luck this year and be safe.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Chris O on April 28, 2020, 04:45:58 AM
Hope you have success again this year!!! It always seems like Some one always has a relative that wants to hunt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. He is not just a relative, he is the third owner of the property, like I said can't blame him for wanting to hunt his own land, just wish I had been able to make the area more friendly, a synth would do well in there. Not so sure I could still swing one, but I would at least try.

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 28, 2020, 07:30:54 AM
The joys of leasing land. Still better than having a bunch of idiots ruining a public land hunt. I've experienced the same thing. Landowners hunting, or keeping the turkey rights to themselves, or selling the land unexpectedly, and even having the property logged.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

That sounds horrible, I am not worried about these guys logging it, they are pretty much against that but there is a Mennonite that owns some adjoining land and it is older hard woods and if he logs it could be devastating to the lands around him. This guy normally does not come here to turkey hunt, every now and again but he is there to deer hunt every year just about. I do not lease the land, I have lived above their parents since 1991 and they all tell me I am family now and they let me hunt, I am not blood though so I do have to expect to be low man on the totem pole and I understand that. I do throw they some seed every year to plant on the land, bring in some water during turkey season offer a can of coffee or two during deer season and some hot chocolate for the younger members that are just coming up. If my body allows I try to do some cooking or chores there, though they do not really have me do anything. I and my Mennonite friend trapped there this year to try to help the deer and turkey population, did not get any fox or coyote, they were just not there in that area at the time but we did get some coon, opossum and a skunk out of there, that helps the turkey anyway. We would like to try to get in and trap coyote before deer season starts but the one owner fears we will scare all the deer away which is not true but it's his land, his rules buy coyote migrate big time and we just did not get there when they were there this year.

They had a real bad deer season last year, they think it is mostly coyote and fox but to be perfectly honest you can't take 10-15 deer off a 85 acre property every year and expect the population not to drop.

Good luck to you this year.

Quote from: SteelCityArcher on April 28, 2020, 07:46:16 AM
Sometimes things can get frustrating for sure. Just remember to have fun out there!

Best of luck this season!

Thank you and good luck to you. After pretty much losing all hunting for 17 years I really learned to enjoy it now that I have it back, very grateful to God for letting me do it again.

Quote from: Harty on April 28, 2020, 08:25:53 AM
Best of luck out there. Enjoy the great outdoors. Sometimes things have a way of still working out!

Thank you and good luck to you as well. Always enjoyed it but like I told SteelCityArcher after pretty much losing all hunting for 17 years I really learned to enjoy it now that I have it back, very grateful to God for letting me do it again. I do know one thing though, I am going to have to learn to use my Thermacell this year, it had bugs like crazy when I was setting up over the weekend. I have not even had it out of the box yet and I have had it 2 years now I think.

Quote from: Muzzy61 on April 28, 2020, 08:28:08 AM
Good luck this year and be safe.
Thank you and the same to you.

John Koenig:

Ranger

It's time for you to stop talking about it and be about it. Your post count ain't putting gobblers in the dirt cowboy
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ranger on April 28, 2020, 10:58:10 AM
It's time for you to stop talking about it and be about it. Your post count ain't putting gobblers in the dirt cowboy
You can't do it when it isn't season. Your running people down is not making you more of a man regardless of what you think dude.

John Koenig:

Ranger

Yes you can but I know that's not a conversation you're ready to have.  I'm trying to help you be more of a turkey man, I'm good.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ranger on April 28, 2020, 11:05:51 AM
Yes you can but I know that's not a conversation you're ready to have.  I'm trying to help you be more of a turkey man, I'm good.
If you are talking about scouting I do that when I am allowed but they do not want me to do that because they are afraid I will scare the turkey away. In the past I have always scouted. I do not see how constantly bring up my posting count has anything to do with hunting.

John Koenig:

DP42912

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 27, 2020, 07:06:54 PM
Got set up over the weekend, unfortunately I am not in the same spot as last year,  same property, different area. There are 3 owners, my landlords 2 oldest and their cousin, the cousin normally does not turkey hunt but because of Covid he is going to come down from I think either Delaware of Philly and hunt. Can't blame a guy for wanting to hunt his own land, just wish I had had more than 1 weeks notice is all, I could have prepped the area some to make it easier for the turkey and deer to get through and for me to get to and into the blind easier as well.

Not nearly as good a setup, set on a straight trail, not enough room to put the blind off the trail, I had started to set up the big blind, felt it would be to big to fit so went back to the truck to get the smaller blind, set the small blind up off to the side of the trail, got it all staked out, sat down in the blind and realized I could not see out the windows the way the land was laid out,(Set in the middle of a saddle) so I pulled the stakes, put the blind in the middle of the row and sat in the chair, still can't see out the windows so I had to take down that blind, go back to the truck, get the big blind that I had already taken back when I went to get the small blind and set that up in the middle of the lane way. Worried the turkey won't like going through thorns to go around the blind, it will be interesting to see how it works out.

I may be able to sit in the field in my 2 man chair blind, but I have to double check with one of the owners first, the cousin will not be there the first 2 days but he likes to hunt where I hunted last year so I do not want to go sit there and have him think I ruined his hunt by being there. If not for the people that own the ajoining land I would have put the big blind in the field, but I am afraid it would be gone when I got there opening day.

At least I got some good exercise, though I wish I had brought some water with me.

Jeez that sounds stressful, good luck opening day!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: DP42912 on April 28, 2020, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 27, 2020, 07:06:54 PM

Jeez that sounds stressful, good luck opening day!
I will not lye, it is a little bit, again had I had more notice it would not be. Thank you and good luck to you as well.

John Koenig: