OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Referring to All Turkeys as “birds”

Started by Robasse, April 27, 2020, 01:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

strum

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2020, 09:36:14 PM
You did it!   Good job.   Winter Haven, small world.  I grew up around Lakeland.   And my favorite coke is Pepsi.

I lived in lakeland in the 80s for almost 10 years. still have family there.

guesswho

Quote from: strum on April 29, 2020, 09:46:01 PM
You did it!   Good job.   Winter Haven, small world.  I grew up around Lakeland.   And my favorite coke is Pepsi.

I lived in lakeland in the 80s for almost 10 years. still have family there.
I lived there from 65 to 93.   My parents still there.  Played a lot of softball there and  in Bartow in the 80's
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

I was raised in NPR, but we went to the Lakeland Gun Show every year! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Cottonmouth

Where I'm from, a mature male turkey is a gobbler and an immature male is a jake. A tom is a male cat or a brand of tater chips.
Thunder chickens are for the guys that use the calls called "the freak daddy nasty rabbit" and such.

redleg06

Nowadays, even the turkey are easily offended and demanding not to be disrespected....

What a time to be alive.

captpete

At this point might as well go for eight.

Mossyguy

My dad, who is 71, calls them turkeys, jakes, gobblers, or hens. I don't think I've ever heard him say "bird".

I call them anything(some words that I can't repeat here) but I definitely don't call them chickens!

guesswho

Quote from: captpete on April 30, 2020, 09:11:17 AM
At this point might as well go for eight.
Y'all helped me, so I'll return the favor.  To me calling them turkeys is just as disrespectful or more so than calling them birds.   

I come from a long line of old school Turkey hunters.  There are turkeys and then there are Wild Turkeys.   They are always referred to as "Wild Turkeys" where I'm from.   Calling them turkeys is pretty much for the people who don't know any better.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

You are confused guess. 

Wild Turkey is for after the hunt.  Neat or Ice.  I do confess to really liking it with a splash of Diet Coke in it occasionally.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spitten and drummen

Doing my part to help get this post to page 8.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RiverRoost

Hell I'll help out too! I call them birds, gobblers, longbeards, stupid a$$ f$%*# bird, and all the like. I do like hearing older turkey hunters call them gobblers just because I feel like that sounds like an old school, what ya hunt, white haired old man telling tales about his hunt kinda name....... Are we there yet?

guesswho

WHite haired old man telling tails?   Reminds me of somebody, just can't picture who.  Got it be getting close to 7.

And g8rvet, I'm probably the only one I know who can drink Wild Turkey on Wild Turkey Drive after killing a Wild Turkey, unless a guest of mine kills a bird, Er, I mean wild turkey.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Flydown

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 30, 2020, 01:46:20 PM
WHite haired old man telling tails?   Reminds me of somebody, just can't picture who. 

Yeah,...me neither.  Must be some old guy on another forum.  Ain't none of that type 'round heah. :)