News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Referring to All Turkeys as “birds”

Started by Robasse, April 27, 2020, 01:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TravisB on April 27, 2020, 04:31:31 PM
I usually call them a lot worse than that. Most of the time calling them a bird would actually be a compliment. Especially this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL!!! :D

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Ol timer on April 27, 2020, 05:50:54 PM
Shirley you can't be serious.
And stop calling me Shirley!!! :D

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Robasse on April 27, 2020, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 27, 2020, 01:50:28 PM
My opinion, and that's all it is, one guy's opinion, is that using the term bird is acceptable. What I've noticed by reading comments in many forums is that some guys are old school, and some guys are just what I call purists.
They seem to think that you have to hunt a certain way, or use certain terms, and expect that all turkey hunters should do as they do.
No blinds, no decoys, no crawling after a gobbler, no ambushing a gobbler, use certain terms, etc. Well, who's to say that their way is the right way? ???
I personally live by the motto, if it's legal and it makes you happy, go for it. And note that legal is different than ethical. That's a whole other can of worms.

Makes sense to me man!  Good point. I expected most of the responses I've seen so far because I totally get my grandpa has more of a radical stance. I'm likely more purist in my turkey terminology because of who taught and scolded me as a kid but at the same time, I'll do what it takes to kill a stubborn gobbler...I personally though, just won't call him a bird. Southern stubbornness I guess. Thanks for your comment!

From one southerner to another, I'm good with that!

Chordeiles

Quote from: TravisB on April 27, 2020, 04:31:31 PM
I usually call them a lot worse than that. Most of the time calling them a bird would actually be a compliment. Especially this year.

Same here.

LaLongbeard

Ive noticed recently people in the south calling a Gobbler a Tom. I never heard that term in the southeast. Gobblers,Longbeards,Jakes or hens a Tom was cat. The old T&T Hunter magazines from the 80's the northern hunters called them Toms New York, Pennsylvania etc. The Thunder Chicken reference is more disrespectful than just about any term used.
      And I don't care for the "shot em in the face", "fed them such and such load", "dirt nap etc". The term bird isn't disrespectful.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

dzsmith

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 28, 2020, 03:52:57 AM
Ive noticed recently people in the south calling a Gobbler a Tom. I never heard that term in the southeast. Gobblers,Longbeards,Jakes or hens a Tom was cat. The old T&T Hunter magazines from the 80's the northern hunters called them Toms New York, Pennsylvania etc. The Thunder Chicken reference is more disrespectful than just about any term used.
      And I don't care for the "shot em in the face", "fed them such and such load", "dirt nap etc". The term bird isn't disrespectful.

seems we agree on a lot , except maybe louisianna lol. Bird doesn't bother me because at the end of the day they are a bird. I don't like Tom...but there are worse things. I just prefer gobbler or longbeard. And for the love of God the walk out selfies of people holding them by the face.....or sticking a shell in their mouth. My dad would have beat me bloody for doing such a thing. I saw a chick put camo face paint on a gobbler she killed once.....geez louise.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

LI Outdoorsman

They are birds, calling them a bird isn't disrespectful to me.
Now calling them a thunder chicken that's another thing altogether......

Plush

So picking them up by the neck is potentially disrespectful and now calling them a "bird" is too?

Does anyone know how to ask a turkey what their gender and preferred pronouns are?

dejake

If you want to respect them, don't kill them.

High plains drifter

Quote from: davisd9 on April 27, 2020, 01:53:52 PM
Goodness! What will people cry over next?
Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 28, 2020, 03:52:57 AM
Saying I shot him in the face, is a hick term.Very rude, and immoral.

TauntoHawk

And here I've been referring to them as Gobble Swans, Strut Pigeons, and snoodlers this whole time  :newmascot:

I'm only joking, and I never really put any thought into what people want to call them
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

High plains drifter

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 27, 2020, 09:45:35 PM
Although I appreciate your turkey hunting heritage. I started hunting turkeys over 30 years ago. I had no mentors. The internet was barely in existence. The only decent read I could find in book stores was Turkey and Turkey hunting magazine. I learned from the school of hard knocks. Trial and error, usually error. I've logged far to many hours sneaking around the woods to be considered sane. I have a few friends from school that I introduced to turkey hunting but have grown apart over the years because of family and work. I stand alone with my own heritage. Your implication that I do not love and respect this animal because of the use of certain terminology considered taboo in your hunting culture is frankly offensive. I am no less a turkey hunter than you. I think I'll leave it at that.
That's the way I learned, trial and  error. And 100's of mistakes. Also, I was steered in the wrong direction,  early in my Turkey hunting, by some unethical,  poaching rubes.Those guys were idiots. I still make mistakes,  but I usually tag out on gobblers every year.I think I'm in my 27th year of Turkey.

PharmHunter

Hope you're able to get a bird this season Robasse. 

SinGin

For future political correctness,what is a male dove or quail called anyway? You know just Incase, don't want to sound like a noob or something.