turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Minnesota season is done with a 14in long beard

Started by Moore, April 27, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moore

Hi all I wanted to share this hunt of my son and I. This hunt was really special to me because I got to share it with my son. This was his second hunt with me and the first one was miserable for him because he was so cold. I made sure this hunt he would stay warm. Aka me heater. We got in the woods a little late and we could her on tom sounding off in front of my blind that we had setup the night before. I would say we were in the blind 5:45 roughly. I got him ready with his jolly ranchers and also my camera. My son said he was getting cold so I tried to start the heater to cover up the pilot noise I would help to mask the clicking sound. Man it took me a while to get it going. After I got it going I started to use my box call,because I wanted the sound to reach out further. I could tell the bird that was in the tamarack swamp was on the ground so I help a little bit on  my box call, and one fired off to out left. I turn to my son and said did you hear that. Lol he just looked at me. I could hear him getting closer her sounded of three more times and I would give him a few yelps. I asked my son hey bud do you want to call to them and he said no not right now. Not before to Long I could see them, it was three Tom's. They were their way into the field we were in and noticed my decoys that were in the breeding position. I took the leading tom, and I dropped him. I was sitting there watching the other two Tom's beating up the one I shot. My son said to me dad when you used your sniper, lol that's what he calls my turkey shot gun. It felt like the ground exploded, and my ears are ring a little bit. I said yeah I'm sorry I forgot to tell you to cover you ears.Then the flash back of years of bow hunting turkey in years past came to my mind of them getting up and took off. Lol I got out of the blind as quick as I could, those Tom's were still beating up my turkey as I'm walking towards them. I made my way to the bird I notice it was a two year old and when I got him to the truck I noticed his beard is longer then I thought. He had a few stragglers in his beard. What I thought was a nine or ten inch beard in the field was actually measure out at home to be a 14in beard. Here are the photos. Oh I have the hunt on camera.
[

1iagobblergetter

Congrats on a good one and sharing it with your son. Hard to beat that..

Yoteduster

Timmer

Congrats from a fellow Minnesotan!  Great that you brought your son.  Given sports are currently on hold, my daughter got to join me and my son this year, which was awesome.  We got a little action but struck out. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

ElkTurkMan

Congrats Again Shawn!!! I am excited for you buddy!!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Beards and Hooks

Congrats sounds like a great day with the son and nice bird!

RutnNStrutn

Nice beard!! Definitely special to share the hunt with your son. Congrats!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Congrats, Great bird and memories made with your son.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

POk3s

WorkingBirds

kyturkeyhunter4

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

NightHawk24