turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 20ga patterning woes

Started by twyatt, April 25, 2020, 06:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

Shooting Federal TSS 9's out of 2 different 20ga 870's, both with 26" barrels, using the
TruGlo SSX (.565) and Carlson's .575, and consistently getting sub 200's in the 10" at 40.  I shot numerous times at 4' x 4' cardboard so I could see the entire pattern, and was measuring the densest part of the pattern.   Any suggestions on what to try?  I don't want a SUPER small 20yd pattern, but sure think there's room for improvement at 40.   Both guns put up 160-180's in the 40 over and over.  Choke and mag cap were tight, barrels free of oils, etc etc.  Patterns were just sparse at 40.

USMC0331

I have not shot anything but Apex and my Handloads. With that being said in my 26" I using a Carlson 585. 21 inch Sumtoy 562. I'm getting higher numbers than your are  but it could be a combination of both ammo and choke. Try full  choke if you have one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Looking at your pattern picture, I'm struck by how large some of the holes look.  Makes me wonder if your shells aren't mislabeled and you are shooting Federal's 7/9 blends.

twyatt

I don't have a full choke, and was thinking about going to a Jebs or IC in a 560 or 565, didn't think about going the other way.
I don't think they're mis-labeled, I got them from 2 different stores and at different times.

surehuntsalot

is the tru glo choke a SSX or a GSX
The GSX is .565 and the SSX is .550
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

twyatt

My apologies, it's the GSX 565

BINK McCARTY

Maybe try the Primos tightwad choke I'm hearing alot of good things about it. Midway USA has em' on sale now. Good luck.

Gmed

I went to the "20 gauge/ TSS" this year and had never shot or even held in my hand a TSS shell. I found a Remington 870 21" barrel and just started reading posts on here. I finally decided on a Sumtoy .562 and it shoots lights out with the Federal 3" 1 1/2 ounce #9s (280+ in the 10" circle at 40 yards). It's amazing, and if it carries the same energy as a #5 lead, no turkey is going to survive that pattern....

twyatt

Was just looking at the 562, what's your 20yd pattern look like?

Gmed

I don't have any photos but it's pretty tight. I would run an optic of some sort...I use a Vortex Venom red dot. Your entire pattern at that distance will fit in a coffee cup. A lot of posts here say they are running a .570 or .575 choke to get more forgiving, hunting patterns and I hear good things about the Jebs .565 pattern. I have a buddy with a Jebs and I am going to try a round out of it to see what it does with the TSS #9.

BTW...my son tried a Winchester Longbeard choke .568 and at 35 yards, he got over 425 in he 10" circle.

twyatt

Ok thanks.  I'll be running an optic, but I'd like to find something somewhat forgiving at 20 but be able to put up 250's at 40.  I'm thinking 565 or 570 might be a better option.  My current 565 and 575 chokes are great at 20, but sparse at 40, so I'm wondering if I need to try a different brand, or different constriction.
300-400 in the 10" at 40 is probably going to be way too tight at 20, but I'm sure there's gotta be something that is ok at 20 but can still put up 250's at 40 with a nice even pattern spread across 20"

NightHawk24

Saw a post under the 20GA turkey pattern pictures forum of a guy getting 251 in 10" circle at 40 with the HS Strut Undertaker HD ported out of his 870 with Federal TSS 9's. Looked to be a pretty good pattern

twyatt

I saw that, and it looked great, but I can't seem to find a ported undertaker, or a tightwad right now, seems everyone is sold out

USMC0331

Using a 562 with hand loaded TSS. RED paper targets left is 22 yards with 8s, right is at 40 yards. Brown paper is 40 yards with 9s, and white paper is 40 yards with 10s.( 260 in 10 inch 259 in 20 inch circle)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gmed

I got to shoot the .565 Jebs yesterday between rain showers. "Just" 287 in 10" circle but ever so slightly more open pattern than the .562 Sumtoy. Pattern had a couple weaker spots but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt either choke and will keep both because I like em that much....btw..I was shooting the Federal TSS 1 1/2oz #9s.