OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler in field

Started by jwm1485, April 24, 2020, 04:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfowler82

If he has hens it can be tough . If he loses all his hens he might respond to calling from a certain part of the field especially if he can't see the whole thing . I've had success with them you just have to hang with em and strike when he is willing . A lot of gobblers will respond if you can get in their comfort zone it's just figuring that out can be the hard part .

RS

Well here's how I killed this field gobbler last week. I messed with this one several times over the 1st 10 days of the NC season.  Him and a buddy had 6-9 hens and would roost about 150 yards off of a 40-50 acre field, gobble on the tree, a little on the ground, but not respond to any of my calling.  They would use one of 3 routes to get to the field, then spend several hours out in the field before moving into the thicket on the other side where visibility is only about 20 yards or less where they would spend the rest of day working back across the field to roost in the evening.

After several failed attempts at heading them off and trying catch them going back toward the roost I could never get on the same route they were using.

After them getting by me again last Tuesday morning I decided to go after them since nothing else seem to be working. I made a 1.5 hour trek around the south side of the field through the woods and thicket to the other side.  Luckily they had not gone into the thicket yet.  I was able to slowly sneek and crawl into position to where the whole group was within 40 yards and waited until he strutted through an opening for a 32 yard shot at about 9am. I would have rather called him up gobbling and strutting but he had made me mad and he had to pay.

1iagobblergetter

A's RS explained. Some Gobblers you just don't kill in one day. It's paying attention to the details when after them for several days and then putting it all together that will help you kill him.
Pretty much anyone can kill the easy ones. It's the difficult ones that sort mediocre turkey hunters from the good consistent ones.

RutnNStrutn

If you can crawl out and set a decoy up without getting busted, that's your best bet. Otherwise, set up just inside the woods and try to call him in. If he has a hen(s), you might have to wait him out. If he's in the field day after day, get there early, put dekes out and wait for him to show up. Jake and strutter dekes work great in fields. I've had several gobblers leave their hens and run across a field to fight my B-Mobile with a real fan. That was the last mistake they ever made.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk