OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Seems Odd to Me

Started by rifleman, April 23, 2020, 01:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

Yesterday at about 9 AM I killed a nice bird, with him were 3 jakes and another longbeard.  I had called on the perimeter of a field and nothing sounded off all morning.  Went back today and saw maybe 5 separate hens, 3 jakes, and what looked like a bearded hen (too far out).  And, again none of them gobbled at daybreak of before coming into the field.  Anyone have an idea why the birds aren't gobbling?  Could coyotes be a problem?

Gobble!

I'd assume they have hens within eye sight as they sit on the roost.

Greg Massey

Sounds like they have everything they need with them.. Hens... why gobble .. someday's turkeys just don't gobble. Natures elements plays a big part ...

SinGin

Short answer, they're turkeys. Lord only knows what goes through their little brains. Glad you got one though.

turkeymanjim

That's the nature of the beast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

joey46

I hunt central Fl.  Not a big year for gobbling during the season.  However, we scout and run cameras year around and in February they were gobbling their butts off.  Some years are like that.  If they show on cameras or you see plenty of tracks, scratching and dusting areas you know they're around. Patience, not my strong suit, usually pays off.

MK M GOBL

Been hearing a bunch of chat about this where I hunt, people saying birds aren't working, not answering and so on... So a few years ago our DNR pushed our season later, this year we are in our "late" part of the month start, same was true for deer season late start (7 year swing) and had a lot toms starting to breed hens a week or better before our youth season. Always good for me to go back through my notes and see these things. Turkeys are doing what turkeys do...

MK M GOBL