OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 ultimag issue

Started by redrivergar, April 22, 2020, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrivergar

I've had this gun for many years and I've killed many gobblers with it. I've used 3" shells with no issue but this year I've bought 3.5" shells. The issue is the second shell doesn't want to stay in the mag. I've been hunting with one chambered and only one in the mag. Is there a fix for this problem?
This was yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borsy

I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction, but I think it MIGHT have something to do with the shell stop not adequately holding back the shell in the mag well enough under heavy recoil. You might be able to find some more info on the shotgunworld forum, or from another old gobbler member who's had the same experience.

redrivergar

I think I figured it out. I placed two 2.75" shells in the mag. When I tried to put the third on in the mag the plug stopped it with almost half the shell still showing. I removed the plug and sawed off about .25". Now the third 2.75" shell still won't go in but the second 3.50" shell will go in and stays in like it's supposed to. Everything is still legal and it seems to have fixed the issue. The plug was too long.

Sir-diealot

You have to use a plug to turkey hunt? I have not heard of that before, what state?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

redrivergar

I'm in Kentucky. I've never been hunting in a state that doesn't require a plug. You must be from Louisiana or Texas.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: redrivergar on April 23, 2020, 03:45:17 PM
I'm in Kentucky. I've never been hunting in a state that doesn't require a plug. You must be from Louisiana or Texas.

Nope, NY only thing we have to use a plug for is waterfowl.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

redrivergar

Wow!!! That's amazing. I normally don't empty my gun on rabbits or quail but for doves that would be awesome. I'd definitely lose money on shells.

Old Timer

Seems like some of these  laws some politician thought up and makes no sense whatsoever.Some of the more conservative states have these draconian laws and you would not think that. Maybe there is a good reason. By the way as a mossberg owner what choke and load are you using? Glad you got it figured out. Good luck!

redrivergar

I have a Stardot choke and Winchester double X 3.5"
5 shot.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: redrivergar on April 23, 2020, 05:16:38 PM
Wow!!! That's amazing. I normally don't empty my gun on rabbits or quail but for doves that would be awesome. I'd definitely lose money on shells.

I have not done any dove hunting, I would like to try some waterfowl hunting in the future, I am still trying to figure out after 20 years why the gun came with 3 plugs? (Yes, all the same size)

John Koenig:

trkehunr93

We only have been able to turkey hunt with an unplugged shotgun in VA in the last 10-15 years.  I just keep mine plugged because I like to dove and waterfowl hunt to.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 23, 2020, 08:57:51 PM
We only have been able to turkey hunt with an unplugged shotgun in VA in the last 10-15 years.  I just keep mine plugged because I like to dove and waterfowl hunt to.

Makes sense.

John Koenig:

turkey_picker

Turkeytider

Pretty sure GA does require one. I have one in regardless.

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot