OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

America, Wild Turkeys & Mongrel Dogs Kenny Morgan

Started by Sir-diealot, April 22, 2020, 07:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I picked up America, Wild Turkeys & Mongrel Dogs: Life Lessons From a Hunting Master by Kenny Morgan. Looks to be a very good book, I was surprised to get a hand written letter from his widow Sally, she very much seems to have a passion for spreading her husbands work as Lovett Williams Jr.'s daughter does to spread her fathers work. I spoke with Sally in an couple of emails back and fourth, she seems to be a very nice woman. I will be getting Kenny's other book next month I hope. Only problem I am going to have with America, Wild Turkeys & Mongrel Dogs: Life Lessons From a Hunting Master is I am going to have to sit and read it at my desk holding it up, my shoulders won't do it, this thing ways a ton! lol Can't wait to dive into them both.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

Kenny Morgan was one of the best turkey hunters I have ever met. A good honest Down to earth man. His books are my guidelines and have been, for my turkey hunting career. I respected him as a man and hunter. Back on topic , his books are some of the best on turkey hunting and life that I have ever read.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 22, 2020, 07:44:24 PM
Kenny Morgan was one of the best turkey hunters I have ever met. A good honest Down to earth man. His books are my guidelines and have been, for my turkey hunting career. I respected him as a man and hunter. Back on topic , his books are some of the best on turkey hunting and life that I have ever read.
Sorry for the loss of your friend, it is good to hear from somebody I know that he was a good man, I do look forward to reading them. I am in the middle of another right now but when I am done I will start one of his, not sure which I will start with, does it matter in the way the books are written what order they are read in?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Howie g

I grew up in the same area with Mr Kenny . I've read both books several times over and enjoyed every moment.
  I had the privilege to sit in his living room and listen to his wisdom many days after hunts . One of my cousins and I would go to his house for advice after getting whipped by gobblers . And even got to hunt with him a couple of times . I still hunt the way he coached us ,,  some folks call it old school .  I call it the "only way " gobblers should be taken , Woods skills and knowing when and what to say to em ..... no visual aids required ????

Greg Massey

howl

If anyone in GA wants to read it they can place a hold through the PINES library system online or at their county library. I donated copies of both of Mr. Morgan's books.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2020, 07:55:09 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend, it is good to hear from somebody I know that he was a good man, I do look forward to reading them. I am in the middle of another right now but when I am done I will start one of his, not sure which I will start with, does it matter in the way the books are written what order they are read in?

It does not matter in what order. I read them each before my season comes in every year.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: howl on April 22, 2020, 08:37:10 PM
If anyone in GA wants to read it they can place a hold through the PINES library system online or at their county library. I donated copies of both of Mr. Morgan's books.

Nobody in my family hunts, is not looking good for my nephews to hunt either, maybe the one but not the other at all. I have actually been thinking the last few days on donating all my hunting books to the local library when I die, I just worry the way my state is going when I die they will no longer want the books in my area library.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Howie g on April 22, 2020, 08:27:40 PM
I grew up in the same area with Mr Kenny . I've read both books several times over and enjoyed every moment.
  I had the privilege to sit in his living room and listen to his wisdom many days after hunts . One of my cousins and I would go to his house for advice after getting whipped by gobblers . And even got to hunt with him a couple of times . I still hunt the way he coached us ,,  some folks call it old school .  I call it the "only way " gobblers should be taken , Woods skills and knowing when and what to say to em ..... no visual aids required ????
Nothing wrong with "Old school" it is how I hunted before my car accident and some days when my body allows I still try to hunt that way. I am lucky if I can make half and hour but I still try.

I sometimes use/d decoys and sometimes don't, when I started hunting turkey it was because of watching hunting videos in the mid 90's and I thought that was how it was supposed to be done, never knew any way different until I came here to be honest. I have only had one friend that tried turkey hunting and he did what I did so he had decoys too.

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 22, 2020, 08:35:24 PM
His books are among the best ...

Thanks for the reply Greg, how is your season going?

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 22, 2020, 08:45:34 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2020, 07:55:09 PM

It does not matter in what order. I read them each before my season comes in every year.
Okay, thank you.

John Koenig:

howl

Off-topic, but Kevin Lovegreen's Lucky Luke series is good for youngsters up to maybe sixth grade. We're using them for book reports for our homeschool. There is a turkey book in the series.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: howl on April 23, 2020, 09:17:33 AM
Off-topic, but Kevin Lovegreen's Lucky Luke series is good for youngsters up to maybe sixth grade. We're using them for book reports for our homeschool. There is a turkey book in the series.
I had not heard of these, I will have to find out if my sister has a kindle account and send them to her for my nephews, now sure it they would read them or not, I think the one much but the other I am not so sure about.

John Koenig:

greencop01

Kenny Morgan an old school turkey hunter, and an astute observer of the Wild Turkey when he hunted them. I wish I could have met him.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

quavers59

I have both Books. I have a signed copy of - One Man Game. I had a signed Frictionwood caller that, I sent to Jim Casada as a Gift. And, I have the Morgan Caller Tube. Never used and it sits in a signed Zebrawood Case.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: greencop01 on April 23, 2020, 11:09:41 AM
Kenny Morgan an old school turkey hunter, and an astute observer of the Wild Turkey when he hunted them. I wish I could have met him.
I do not know about him well enough to say I wish I could have met him, for me when I think like that I instantly think of Fred Bear or would like to meet Will Primos. From all the wonderful things I have heard about Kenny I am sure by the time I am done reading the books I will have a new found respect for him.

Quote from: quavers59 on April 23, 2020, 12:51:36 PM
I have both Books. I have a signed copy of - One Man Game. I had a signed Frictionwood caller that, I sent to Jim Casada as a Gift. And, I have the Morgan Caller Tube. Never used and it sits in a signed Zebrawood Case.
That's neat, always like to have a collectable and when it is from somebody you respect it means that much more.

John Koenig:

silvestris

Like me, Kenny despised decoys and explains why in Chapter 3 of Mongrel Dogs.  Kenny was a precious jewel, unfortunately tarnished by the methods of the current "hunters."  Christ said it best, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game