Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long to choose calls from your stash before a hunt?

Started by greencop01, April 22, 2020, 02:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

Just curious, how long does it take to choose calls you will use for opening day? Do you have favorites, or have so many you try different ones to find a new favorite? I usually have my favorites like a Cody World Class slate and a Hal Hobart aluminum and maybe a Cane Cutter and an Albert Paul or a Marlin Watkins long box. See what I mean? Hard to narrow some calls down. Curious how you guys do it.   :z-dizzy:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Happy

Pretty quickly. I am not a collector and have a few calls I know are proven. I am a big believer of it being more about the indian than the bow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

Since I intend to hunt my calls I keep my overall collection fairly small, I buy new ones every year but i either trade or sell older ones once I deem have been replaced in the rotation or I've killed some turkeys with a call and decide to try something new. I only have a few that are forever calls and they go on most all hunts. 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sir-diealot

I have some calls I am rather partial to and those stay in like my green slate from Mac Turkey Call and others I just add as I got them new. I do intend to do a "Tulipwood Tuesday" where I will bring nothing but tulipwood but other than that I pretty much brings what I feel I am decent with or plays well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gobble!

Calls in my vest are all I've got with exception to a trumpet and some mouth calls. 

paboxcall

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 22, 2020, 04:47:18 PM
Since I intend to hunt my calls I keep my overall collection fairly small, I buy new ones every year but i either trade or sell older ones once I deem have been replaced in the rotation or I've killed some turkeys with a call and decide to try something new. I only have a few that are forever calls and they go on most all hunts.

Essentially describes me. There are a few calls which always go out the door with me.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Spitten and drummen

Man I have so many , I pull my hair out trying to pick. I always carry too many lol. I change calls out constantly through season. Day to day I mean.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

I don't own many calls.  I found a few that worked & stuck with them.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Greg Massey

I agree , i have so many good ones , i just pick and change them out during the season.. i have them with high pitch fronts and ones with lot more rasp .. so it all depends on the hunting situation fields or woods ..

callmakerman

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 22, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
I agree , i have so many good ones , i just pick and change them out during the season.. i have them with high pitch fronts and ones with lot more rasp .. so it all depends on the hunting situation fields or woods ..
Well said. I like to mix it up and change out at different times. May end up hunting a few more than one time. Why have all these great calls if not to hunt them.

Chris O

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 22, 2020, 07:38:44 PM
Man I have so many , I pull my hair out trying to pick. I always carry too many lol. I change calls out constantly through season. Day to day I mean.
I know I don't have as many calls as you do but I feel about the same as you. I rotate a bunch also even from morning hunt to an afternoon hunt. I enjoy all my calls and play them all year so no harm in owning quite a few

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Chris O on April 22, 2020, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 22, 2020, 07:38:44 PM
I know I don't have as many calls as you do but I feel about the same as you. I rotate a bunch also even from morning hunt to an afternoon hunt. I enjoy all my calls and play them all year so no harm in owning quite a few

Its awesome to have so many toys to play with lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

catman529

I only have a handful of calls so it's not really much of a decision. I'll take the wingbone, some type of pot call, and at least one mouth call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NCL

I have a bunch of pots and I fill my vest to the point I look like a taxi cab with the doors open. I usually always have a Cody Spec slate and glass after that it is what is on top although this year I have been using a Durham ceramic quite a bit

Mossberg90MN

I use mouth calls that I practice with everyday all year. So I have my favorites picked out.

When it comes to a pot call I, I have one that I used last year that I liked and then I bought one in the summer of last year.

To decide which one to bring to the field I sat there for a couple hours just really using both of them back to back. Then I decided which one I felt the best with and most realistic sounding. That's how I picked. Turns out I'm more of a slate guy over crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk