turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Choke suggestions.

Started by Djl5427, April 21, 2020, 10:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Djl5427

I am looking for suggestions on which choke to try. I am running an 870 Rem. 3.5 inch from around 1998/1999. I am currently using what I believe is an undertaker choke with  #5 Winchester XR's.  I am looking for a choke that can shoot both the XR's and  TSS so if I want to make the switch I can try them. My pattern has always been decent at 40 but it opens up more than I want at 50. If it doesn't make sense to use a tube that is compatible with both for the sake of maximizing the patterns then let me know also. Thank you.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

bbcoach

Those 870's like .665 chokes.  Indian Creek, SSX and Sumtoy are a few.  Check the Remington Pattern Pictures posts.  Many of the guys on here have done plenty of research.

Djl5427

captpete

My 870 doesn't like 3 1/2' shells. I get better/more even patterns with 3" shells. I only shoot lead, no TSS.

Turkeytider

A choke you see mentioned fairly often in association with 870`s is the Primos Jellyhead. Mine is a .660. I shoot Hevi-13 2oz. #6. To tell the truth, I`ve never actually counted the pellets at 40 yards, but it`s a several times over dead turkey for sure. 50 yards? No idea since I limit shots to 40 and in. I have patterned Longbeard XR and Remington Nitros and wouldn`t hesitate to use either if for some reason I didn`t have Hevi-13s. A qualifier: My Jellyhead is an older model. I`ve patterned a newer Jellyhead out of my backup 870 and it works, but I like the older model better that came with my `05 870 Super Mag SP-T.

Longshanks

Interesting how shotguns are different. My 870SM 26"bbl wouldn't turn good patterns with Kicks, Hevi 13 , or Jellyhead which are normally dead ringers for the 870 shotguns. It turns the best patterns with the Remington stock chokes. Ventilator .655, Rem Super Full .665, and Ren Extra Full .687

Longshanks

Quote from: captpete on April 22, 2020, 07:42:29 AM
My 870 doesn't like 3 1/2' shells. I get better/more even patterns with 3" shells. I only shoot lead, no TSS.

Agree with this, I have 4 870's and they all pattern the best with 3" shells. Further more shooting lead the POA/POI stays on. Shooting double beads is my preference. Nothing is complicated or goes wrong with the set up. Don't have to worry about dead batteries, fogged lenses, base screws loosening, sights broken off etc.
Rem Ventilator .655/ Pb 6's
Rem Super Full .665/ Pb 5's

Have found these set ups to be more productive even though I have guns that turn 270's-330's in a 10 @ 40. Turkeys get inside 30yds in timber I do much better with the lead set ups. Guiding for many years got to see people miss a whole lot of turkeys up close with these guns that turn super tight patterns.
($1.00 a shot doesn't hurt either especially when practicing)

Which Gun

I have an older 870 super mag Indian Creek .665. My gun has no problems with 3 1/2"
Longbeards #5's. 55 yard gun if needed.   My buddies 11-87 supermag loves Indian creek to.

Longshanks

Quote from: Which Gun on April 28, 2020, 08:26:52 AM
I have an older 870 super mag Indian Creek .665. My gun has no problems with 3 1/2"
Longbeards #5's. 55 yard gun if needed.   My buddies 11-87 supermag loves Indian creek to.

Did the POA/POI stay on or did you have to add sights?

hoythunter

In my 870 I use carlsons longbeard xr choke .660 with 3" longboards 5 shot. Very good pattern at 40yds.

Which Gun

lowoctane

:z-winnersmiley:

x2!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Turkeytider

I don't know if my 870 likes 3 1/2s or not , but I know I sure don't! Never felt a need for them. Also, I'm fond of having my teeth and eyeballs remaining in my head!!

dzsmith

my 870 reguardless of popular opinion has never performed well with a 665 choke. In lead or TSS. I shot a 655 sumtoy with lbxr 6s. and I currently shoot a 660 sumtoy with tss 9s. having shot a vast assortment of chokes and contstrictions including indian creek my best patterns were with slightly tighter than average constrictions. I know many people who have patterned successfully with 665s mine just never would ...even when my gun was bone stock years ago with a full length barrel shooting standard cheap loads even then the 660 jellyhead was the best I could find at the time. so take it for what its worth and see if you can borrow one before you just buy whats suggested because every gun is different.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."