OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Day 2 New Jersey, got lucky..

Started by Tom007, April 21, 2020, 08:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Well, day 2 this morning. Had this guy scouted last week. Heard him on the ground last Thursday at 6:15 am. Got in at 5:00 this morning. He gobbled at 5:25. Hers where I got away with some mistakes. I moved in to where I thought I was about 200 yards away. Cleared the leaves around a big tree. The tree was not a good one, I was leaning back to much. While I was adjusting, I spooked some deer behind me, they trotted off. No gobbling. I thought I was done. Next mistake, pulling out my push pin, it squeaked. Again, no gobbling. I figured game over. I waited. Then, a crow called, gobble!. Game back on, but he was closer than I thought. Could not see him, but at 6:05, he flew down, away from me. Gobbled when he hit the ground. Hit my Roberts Glass with Frogwood, he gobbled. I said to myself, maybe, maybe. After a 4-5 pause, he gobbled, closer...he's coming....Saw the red/white/blue head coming, he strutted about 70 yards away. Tom.....when he got behind a big tree, I leaned forward to get my head on scope. He came around tree, closed in to 35 yards, boom (6:29 am). Nice Tom, 19.10 pounds, 9 inch beard. I did everything wrong, but one thing right. Thanks, be well, be safe...
"Solo hunter"

SteelCityArcher

Sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes things happen out of our control.

That's the fun of it all. Hopefully, we learn a few things along the way.

Great pic. Congratulations my friend.
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

1iagobblergetter

Congrats. Glad to hear you got him!!!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

jamo

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

NCL

Congratulations, it seems something do everything right and it goes wrong, sometimes do everything wrong and it goes right

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Congrats ..again. 2 A week birds, do you have tags for all weeks? You should shoot for a Jersey slam!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoteduster

zelmo1

Sometimes hard work will overcome small glitches, lol. Congrats bro

Hobbes

Congrats on the bird.  It doesn't look like to me you did anything wrong, but it sounds like a normal day of hunting.  Congrats again.

kyturkeyhunter4

Tom007

Thank you so much team. Taking them one day at a time. I jump around to different spots. Will not burn out one area. I spend tons of time scouting so I have numerous spots, have had them for years. I just love waking up on a logging trail, waiting for Major Tom to reveal his location, then the game is on. I don't have to explain further how it feels because everyone on this forum has these feelings every season. Heavy wind tomorrow, will be challenging, humbling, cold, but I will be in a different spot trying again.....be safe , good luck to all.
"Solo hunter"

tomstopper