turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Don't Really Know If This Was Right

Started by rifleman, April 19, 2020, 06:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you guys get together before season and have a round table discussion on the rules of the club and respecting each others hunting etc ?  Sounds like he was being very rude in his going pass you in such a matter as to be first at that stop.. But that's what you deal with in some people who have no respect for others.

rifleman

When you talk with the guy he never comes off as a butt.  He spouts all the things that you'd like to hear but he just does as he pleases in the woods.  Sadly,  he is a Deacon in his church and always acts all pious.  I think he and the boy hunted over bait in a piece of VA property that adjoins our hunting land.  In discussions he says he is up and up but I don't believe him.

Old Timer

You know some people can be the nicest folks you would want to know till they get in the woods. They have a personality change. My advice is avoid them, do not hunt with them. And above all do not argue. Move on. Might cost you a spot but you will be safer and have peace of mind.

camotoe

Prune that branch off the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Catch him by himself and give him a tune up. Some people cant be reasoned with and need to be taught at a higher level. Good ole man to man talk and there wont be anymore confusion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

rifleman

Thank to all.  I wouldn't have done what he did but I thought that was just my way of thinking.  Thanks again.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 19, 2020, 09:04:23 PM
Catch him by himself and give him a tune up. Some people cant be reasoned with and need to be taught at a higher level. Good ole man to man talk and there wont be anymore confusion.
X2 good old attitude adjustment.

Pluffmud

All you have to do is treat others how you want to be treated. I'd say that most people i come across in the turkey woods are respectful. They will ask me where I am going, and I will tell them and they will give me room. I do the same. Normally we have good talks and I've met some good people that way. Every now and then you get a guy respond like I did recently... I was at "the spot" at 4am. When I left, this guy's truck was there at the gate. In the position he was parked, I could tell he was third to arrive. Really, there was only room for about two parties at this area, but you can squeeze in another if you are respectful, but it will be tight. Fast forward to the next weekend. This guy that was third, had beat me to the spot today. Knowing that there was room for two people, I asked where they were headed. If they were going the other way, I was gonna go to my spot in the opposite direction. If he was going to where I wanted to go, I was going to go to my Plan B in another area. How did he respond? "In the woods." It was an answer that basically told me "take a hike, theres only room for me here," after seeing him squeeze in here the weekend before. I respectfully answered in a way which made him tell me if he was going left or right, and he answered, but it was short. He was going where I wanted to go, so I went to the next gate. At this gate, there was another guy already there. We said good morning, had a good 20 min conversation, and get this: he gave me the first choice in where I was gonna go, even though he was there first. 2 completely opposite interactions on the same morning.

When it comes to internet keyboard cowboys, the same ones who say that they would throw down with a boy passing them on the 4wheeler would be the same ones in their 40hp mudboat passing the guy in the kayak to beat him to the duck hole.
Psalm 46:10

dzsmith

sounds like yal need a map and a sign in book/board. No reason to hunt on top of each other, you can get hurt just as easily on private as you can public.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

zelmo1

Hunting clubs are not what I am familiar with, but common courtesy is . I always honor another hunter if he beats me to a public spot. It seems hard to say something, but it really isn't. Right is right. We all should hold ourselves as well as others to a common standard. Different situations do occur, but bottom line is the Golden Rule. I am pretty outspoken but I am also understanding. I would have called him out right there. Just me, but I agree with many others here that if we allow these people to teach our future generations in this way, we wont have anything to complain about when it gets taken away.  Just my 2 cents, Al Baker

greencop01

I would tell him what he did is opposite what good people do and tell his son his father is not the role model he deserves. Then I would go to other places I had scouted. Its not worth a fight, don't let it ruin your day. If it is a club bring this up with members of the club and if this the type of action they would condone. If no action is taken I would find another club. The Golden Rule, even if you we're wronged should still be followed, two wrongs do not make anything right. My  :z-twocents: worth.  :angel9:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

rdjustham

Just an FYI, baiting deer is NOT illegal on private land in WV (see below).  Im not real familiar with WV, some of the places below may have private land included?  As far as your problem, ive got a couple guys in my club that are the same way.  Not sure what can really be done about it.  I look at my club like public land, gotta get there first.  I do let the people in my club (20 of us on 3,000 plus acres) know where i am going but i still make sure i am there first.

WV Dnr Website:

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Regulations/hunting_hrDeergr.shtm

"Baiting and Feeding Regulations
It is illegal to bait or feed any wildlife on public land between September 1 and December 31 and during the spring gobbler seasons. It is also illegal to bait or feed at any time on Beech Fork Lake, Bluestone Lake, Burnsville Lake and McClintic WMAs and on Coopers Rock and Calvin Price State Forests (see pages 27, 29 and 31)."

WorkingBirds

Quote from: bornagain64 on April 19, 2020, 06:52:42 PM
I feel the same as you.
I would have taken the time to talk to the guy that got to the spot 1st.

It is just common curtesy: I know some will chime in and say it is " public land" people can go and gunt where they want. I disagree totally!

And he is teaching his son to do the same thing. Sad, very sad.

:agreed:

BB30

Get a pin in board and problem is solved. Create zones, have a sign in sheet and set it as first come, first serve. That will take care of any issues you may have and  the rule will be black and white.

rdjustham

Quote from: BB30 on April 21, 2020, 11:29:46 AM
Get a pin in board and problem is solved. Create zones, have a sign in sheet and set it as first come, first serve. That will take care of any issues you may have and  the rule will be black and white.

You would think, however we have something very similar on our lease, however, there is always that guy that tries to work around the rules.  You almost need a lawyer to write them just because of one or two.  We have a peg board with the club stands, but you can also put up your stands.  Rules say no stands within x of club stands, and there are still guys that put them just off the food plots for the club stands because they are x yards from the actual stand.  Common sense and courtesy go along way, unfortunately there are always one or two.