OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Don't Really Know If This Was Right

Started by rifleman, April 19, 2020, 06:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

The other morning I parked my truck about 80yds short of a gate which blocks the road which continues on for about a mile.  I was within 40 yds of the gate and I hear an atv coming behind me.  I knew the guy and his young son so I stepped off the edge and expected them to stop.  Instead they zoomed on by to the gate.  When I got to the gate they had bugged out.  I walked maybe another 60 yds and turned off into an old road and there they stood.  My feeling is that they should have stopped and asked where I was headed instead of blasting by and running to where I am sure they knew I was headed.  If it was the other way around I would have asked where they were headed and gone in a different direction.  Curious as to how you guys would feel.

bornagain64

I feel the same as you.
I would have taken the time to talk to the guy that got to the spot 1st.

It is just common curtesy: I know some will chime in and say it is " public land" people can go and gunt where they want. I disagree totally!

And he is teaching his son to do the same thing. Sad, very sad.

rifleman

It was private ground and we both are in the same club.  Agree not good for the son.  When I hunt NF and I see a guy waiting on more light I will ask him where he wants to go and I will trek elsewhere.  This father has lied to me before about bowhunting right on top of me.  I found his baitpile which is illegal in WV.

RED NECK

Quote from: rifleman on April 19, 2020, 07:00:14 PM
It was private ground and we both are in the same club.  Agree not good for the son.  When I hunt NF and I see a guy waiting on more light I will ask him where he wants to go and I will trek elsewhere.  This father has lied to me before about bowhunting right on top of me.  I found his baitpile which is illegal in WV.
so he is a poacher not a hunter? sounds like he is teaching the new generation of slob hunter.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

turkey_picker

Respect and curtesy for others use to be the gentlemen's rule.  Not so much now.  :z-twocents:

rifleman

The father just wants to kill as does his 15 yr. old boy.  The father acts the part of Mr. Hunter with the latest gear and talk about the hottest products out there.  I am put off by him and his lack of respect for fellow hunters.  His father in law and brother in law hunt the same way.  From now on he can expect the same from me.

TravisB

I thought it was public at first, but it's a club and you're both members? Sounds like a fun club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idgobble

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 19, 2020, 07:03:28 PM
Quote from: rifleman on April 19, 2020, 07:00:14 PM
so he is a poacher not a hunter? sounds like he is teaching the new generation of slob hunter.

I hope you turned him in for the illegal bait pile. Then have him kicked outta the club for unlawful hunting.  Doesn't your club have bylaws to deal with that?

RED NECK

Quote from: rifleman on April 19, 2020, 07:21:17 PM
The father just wants to kill as does his 15 yr. old boy.  The father acts the part of Mr. Hunter with the latest gear and talk about the hottest products out there.  I am put off by him and his lack of respect for fellow hunters.  His father in law and brother in law hunt the same way.  From now on he can expect the same from me.
If he is illegally baiting deer and killing them,he is not a hunter he is a slob poacher.I have no use for poachers,I would have turned that slob in asap.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

rifleman

dgobble,  This club is mostly family and friends of 20 guys and has been going since 1972.  One family has to be the boss as you know families are.  WV allowed baiting until a couple years ago but recently stopped it.  Still it is widely known that people of the state still do it.  It is hard enforcing rules with families and when members won't call an individual out for multiple reasons.  As I said, I have had it with him and he may see himself in me this year.

DP42912

We have a sign in book for that problem first come first served...not sure it would have helped with that guy though.
I would try to talk to him about it first, and if it didn't go the direction I wanted I'd let the club elected officials handle it.

Jstocks

I would have went to him and called him out on it. These type folks I know what is right and he knew exactly what he was doing. He's likely cower to a good confrontation about his antics and he'd likely be Leary of doing it so openly again.

MK M GOBL

I'd really have to have a talk with him, may never help one bit but my voice would be heard, ethics doesn't sound like it's high on his list of priorities... If your "club" has some rules to go by or the "group" has some sort leaders I would go there as well. Seems to be pretty low knowing you hunt the club...

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

I still and always will try to live by treating others how I want to be treated. Once I'm crossed that all goes out the window though..

Sir-diealot

I have a few former friends because of the way they hunt, either that or taking very marginal shots to those that sling lead without aiming. I was out sighting guns with a few friends and the one kid went down to reset targets and his cousin shot a target about 10 years from him. I will never hunt with his cousin I can tell you that much! I also have a friend that has been through a lot with cancer, he always wants the prime spots and I normally let him have them but it would be nice just once not to sit in the less than optimum spots.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."