OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Am I the only one that didn’t know this?

Started by Mossyguy, April 18, 2020, 09:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Then there is no real reason for banning the shooting of jakes.  I know that at least one State does this.  Most have a "visible beard" stipulation and nothing more.  I've always felt that horn size and point numbers caused many deer to be left in the woods.  Betting a beard length rule does the same for turkeys.  Over the years have watched young birds breed more decoys then I can count. In essence a mature birds only rule could do more harm than good.
Back more on point usually have heard much more whining about wanting an earlier season than a later one.

GobbleNut

Really good (and civil) discussion going on here.  Good to see.

Quite honestly, I think the problems turkey populations are facing in some places have more to do with factors relating to nesting success and poult survival than hunting.  Having said that, the one flat out "we gotta do this" statement I would make relating to hunting is that EVERY state needs to establish when the "photo period" data indicates the turkeys are going to start breeding and then set the start of their turkey seasons no earlier than ten days to two weeks after that.

As others have stated, gobblers are still willing to come to a call long after the time when all (or most) of the hens have been bred.  For wild turkey managers:  if you believe hunting and the killing of mature gobblers might be a problem in your turkey population, move the season start back a week or two! 

WorkingBirds

Kinda a head scratcher, if a flock of jakes whip a mature tom if not for hens, then why? They just love to fight? This is interesting. :popcorn:

Paulmyr

Quote from: WorkingBirds on April 20, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
Kinda a head scratcher, if a flock of jakes whip a mature tom if not for hens, then why? They just love to fight? This is interesting. :popcorn:
yup its a constant battle establishing and keeping your place in the pecking order
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eggshell

again I agree with Gobblenut. I think our birds are just in the peak here and season opened today. I heard one gobble period and watched a strutter go down a log road following a hen, he wouldn't even look back at me. Two weeks ago there were 10 birds gobbling in this same spot, that is when  the pecking order was established. When they go silent then they are with hens and breeding. Soon as they start loosing hens you'll hear more gobbling. So I think we are starting right in the peak

Sir-diealot

Sure wish there was a link for the video, I can't find it searching Google.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MK M GOBL

My dad raised all kinds of fowl from ducks, geese, chickens, pigeons, pheasants and of course turkeys on the farm while I was a kid.  Always kept the "Breeder" Birds around. All have the same drive to reproduce whether they are fertile or not, the hormones tell them to. 

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: squidd on April 20, 2020, 09:02:20 PM
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-214-gobbling-your--off

podcast
That link is bad but thank you for trying. I have listened to that one but I was talking about the video the OP was talking about, it is a video.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

redleg06

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 20, 2020, 08:50:44 AM
Really good (and civil) discussion going on here.  Good to see.

Quite honestly, I think the problems turkey populations are facing in some places have more to do with factors relating to nesting success and poult survival than hunting.  Having said that, the one flat out "we gotta do this" statement I would make relating to hunting is that EVERY state needs to establish when the "photo period" data indicates the turkeys are going to start breeding and then set the start of their turkey seasons no earlier than ten days to two weeks after that.

As others have stated, gobblers are still willing to come to a call long after the time when all (or most) of the hens have been bred.  For wild turkey managers:  if you believe hunting and the killing of mature gobblers might be a problem in your turkey population, move the season start back a week or two!

Great post.  I would have no problem backing the season start date up if that would indeed help the overall population.

Deafman

I've always had concerns about our opener here in Ontario. We open April 25th every year and it just seems to early. Some years the birds are still in winter flocks. I believe they set the opener years ago for peak gobbling without regard for actual breeding. We're usually into the second week before the hens start leaving the toms mid morning.

Sir-diealot

Sharing this because it relates. It will be on the NWTF page. https://www.facebook.com/THENWTF/?__xts__
  • =68.ARBktlCmC0OLvIsq1pDszh8-T0YM9-OG_Hb4aaSNv_TUCyxPdzmJ23wvm7LXfc7rw7FSTIsVT9MI90D3xLVLxiS0qkE78hHKVxO2CtRE2zxq3fcwfwxkYhtDv2rbevUBSoa3pj_wIn3ZG2AG66ClB--85Gn8alTSIVkfX6YYYPU-smlKJVUw3fgkONsuruuY4nZxIhz6L4dSROnFd1FvPyvHajG1zT8Y7sloeXde6H9l9_Sv6dQJLg9MkK2XOmzjW9nWUTiX6KxYcBcw3mtG7KmkpH391pex_90Ehmv7qFU3HaXNCRxxpKiAF5eZn4oj_SfKcxYeuc-dLzzMPg&__tn__=k*F&tn-str=k*F

John Koenig:

dzsmith

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 20, 2020, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: squidd on April 20, 2020, 09:02:20 PM
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-214-gobbling-your--off

podcast
That link is bad but thank you for trying. I have listened to that one but I was talking about the video the OP was talking about, it is a video.
do you have facebook? what you just shared is the same 2 guys from the lsu ag video. the video he is talking about is on the lsu ag facebook page, and I believe its a few weeks old if you want to go back and watch it. Its the same 2 guys who are gonna be on tonight.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

squidd

No Facebook for me - for whatever reason the link from the iPad failed?

dzsmith

Quote from: squidd on April 21, 2020, 11:04:37 PM
No Facebook for me - for whatever reason the link from the iPad failed?
that's a good thing man, you aint missing nothing. wish I never made one.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."